Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Humidifier for guitar case

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Terry, It's the small contributions that add up to something worthwhile. If I help even one guitar to remain undamaged I've done my job!

(here's where I need a "superhero" emoticon)

God, I hope nobody takes this post too seriously

Roger Waters
    Echoes
    from the MEDDLE LP

Comment

Officially turned on the heaters in my home last night. Humidity was down to 39% when I woke up this morning. This afternoon it was back up to 45%, but it's gonna be cold again tonight. I have my homemade humidifiers ready to go for each instrument case. All I have to do is add water. I also have two room humidifiers that are on standby but we are still a few weeks away from breaking those out.

Roger Waters
      Echoes
      from the MEDDLE LP

Comment

On the question of distilled water - It has always been recommended for humidifiers and I have always ignored it. I have used humidifiers in cases for many many years and never had any issues until this year. I found dark spots on the sponge I use in a plastic soap container type humidifier in one of my cases. The spots were at the vent holes I drilled in the soap container - none anywhere else on the sponge. I took the sponge out and washed it with dish washing soap , rinsed it well and put it back in. Not sure if this is right or even the smart thing to do but it is what I did.

As I undertand it, mold spores are present in the air of all homes at varying concentrations. I am not sure why distilled water is a lesser host, but it sure seems that is the commonly accepted wisdom. I believe it, I just haven't ever taken the time to explore it.

Comment

For one of my acoustics I took an empty pill bottle, heated a nail on the stove, poked holes in the pill bottle, cut up a sponge to fit, soaked the sponge with water and threw it in the front zipper pocket of my soft case. Hopefully this will be sufficient, if not please tell me otherwise. My main concern is if keeping a humidifier in the front zipper pocket of a soft case is efficient enough. Let me know. Thanks.

Comment

yeah, I was going to ask about what to do with a soft case!
            I want to remind you once again of grammar's importance: Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Comment

if there's one benefit to living degrees North of the equator, it's always humid here so I don't have to worry about making these sort of things...
              Member of the SG Army

Comment

I found I needed to used distilled waster. The minerals in our well water soon plugged up a humidifier I have, rendering it far less useful. It now holds a fraction of what it used to. I humidify 5 guitars and a mandolin and a gallon lasts a couple of years. I can afford 50 cents a year to be sure I don't have problems.

Maybe with city water you don't have to worry about minerals. And ours are not excessive.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks
                  View Post

I found I needed to used distilled waster. The minerals in our well water soon plugged up a humidifier I have, rendering it far less useful. It now holds a fraction of what it used to. I humidify 5 guitars and a mandolin and a gallon lasts a couple of years. I can afford 50 cents a year to be sure I don't have problems.

Maybe with city water you don't have to worry about minerals. And ours are not excessive.

That is probably the main issue - minerals plugging up the pores. But I have also been told distilled water is less likely to support mold. Doesn't matter - I am flat lazy and won't make the effort to use it. It is easier to go to the water tap since a drain would be needed at some point either way. Maybe lazy is an understatement. I thought about getting rid of my guitar cases with more than 3 latches because it is too much work with 4 or 5. :-)

Comment

For those of use who have two thumbs....

You can also use small to medium size hair rollers... cut a sponge to size and there ya go. Oh, the smooth hair rollers with holes in them and traditional prescription bottle caps do fit each size.
                    Westerly Guild Guitars - Website
                    http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/index.htm

outdoorgb
                    My goal was/is to be "Campfire Good".

Stackabones
                    What's "campfire good"? I've been around some campfires where the players were pretty good.

outdoorgb
                    So if that is "campfire good"...and that is my goal...Then I guess I'll stick to "candle good" until I improve...

Comment

Working...
                    X