OT: Brutally Honest look at Crosby Stills & Nash

g6120

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall

View Post

As always, I'm struck by the quiet courage and strength of Nash...he has always been the rock the other two could (and often did) use to anchor themselves to.

Crosby leaning on one side of Nash because he's too strung out to stand on his own and Stills on the other side trying to swing around Nash to clobber Crosby for being {censored} headed, what's not to expect just before a show? Crosby was a musical genius and a personal train wreck and it didn't help matters at all that Stills needed him to back up his ego.

• Members

Agreed. He has mentioned a few times that Stills had a tendency to hog the spotlight. How many times does that happen before your band falls apart feeling individually insignificant? Tonight I'm picking my gear up from one I quit because of that. I see ego, I show heels.

• Members

The loss of creativity is tragic. But despite the toll taken by egos and demons, these guys are IMHO on an extremely short list of bands that have cranked out an amazing number of great songs. In that regard, I put them up there with the likes of the Beatles and the Stones. I was barely aware of them, somehow, until I met my wife. They've always been her favorite band.

It also seems like bands are even more doomed than marriages, statistically. Egos and substance abuse and faulty airplanes have really {censored}ing robbed us all of a lot of great art.

• Members

CSN was probably the single-most influential band for me between 1969 and on. Individual artists were plentiful but CSN was my band. I did not think Young was needed in the band, and visa versa. I thought, and still think, Suite Judy Blues eyes a brilliant piece of writing with its execution, vocal harmonies, dynamics, the full "suite" to be immune to the stagnation and overplay that killed the Free Birds and Stairways of our past. A true timeless piece of writing, IMO. Then again, I know of one guy who actually said: "I don't get Crosby, Stills and Nash. What was that all about?" He also said that of Cat Stevens and a few others, as I recall. Dropped him as a client Monday, incidentally.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot

View Post

Um.... you did watch the video, didn't you?

Yes like Q said ... just a joke. You were referencing a Neil Young song (Needle and the Damage Done), and there is an on going debate/joke as to whether or not Neil is still relevant today. If I make a joke, I normally add a smiley after it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by acousticdepot

View Post

Yes like Q said ... just a joke. You were referencing a Neil Young song (Needle and the Damage Done), and there is an on going debate/joke as to whether or not Neil is still relevant today. If I make a joke, I normally add a smiley after it.

Ah. Ok.

6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi

• Members

Not at all. Separate tour busses, etc. It shows, too. What normally might have allowed for some rehearsal time to tighten up the shows while traveling together is lost now. I think the charm of their relationship is long gone and making money is all that's left. I'm sure there's still the desire to entertain their fans but not as a cohesive band. Now it's as separate egos on the same stage together tolerating each other for the length of the set list.

• Members

It's over.

In all fairness to the members I think they put on a pretty good facade for many years giving respect to their fans and the music now a legacy to their halcyon days. What I don't want to see (feel) is the current injurious splintering of that time becoming the sole surviving memory. Last call, curtain should be closed now.

Archived