Change string gauge??

smokeynichol

• Members

No, it's not necessary. Generally, steel string guitars ship with mediums or lights. Most new guitars will handle anything up to mediums at concert pitch with no trouble. Strings are very much a matter of personal preference and guitar makers know that. They sometimes have recommendations but by and large they're not carved in stone. If you're not sure, contact the manufacturer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DeepEnd

View Post

No, it's not necessary. Generally, steel string guitars ship with mediums or lights. Most new guitars will handle anything up to mediums at concert pitch with no trouble. Strings are very much a matter of personal preference and guitar makers know that. They sometimes have recommendations but by and large they're not carved in stone. If you're not sure, contact the manufacturer.

I can't add much to this ^^^^ excellent advice. It's well worth experimenting with different gauges (and makes) of string until you find ones that suit your guitar and personal preference.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by roughtrade

View Post

Can string size void a warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend.

View Post

Yes.

The long version of this is, if you use heavier strings than the guitar is built for and you have issues (say, you put heavy gauge strings on a parlor built for lights and end up with a bellied top or pulled bridge), it's your fault and not covered under warranty.

• Members

Taylor suggests that putting mediums on those guitars which are designed for lights, will put added pressure on the top, restricting it's ability to vibrate as freely.

Last week, I was evaluating for possible purchase a 2006 514ce. It was lacking in bottom-end, so we replaced the lights with mediums. That was a no-go. It made things worse, so we went back to lights.

FWIW, I generally prefer and use mediums on my dreads and jumbo's.

Archived