Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing a little research...

It seems there are a bunch of old farts here (I include myself BTW). I am doing research for a book and a very small piece of it touches on politics and musicians. If anyone wants to contribute their opinions on this very simple question it will be greatly appreciated. All I ask is that you be honest and ONLY respond if you are over 50. I am not looking for essays, so succinct responses are really appreciated. I will not quote anyone so anonymity is guaranteed. I am obviously looking for opinions from the 50 and older demo. Sorry for all of the qualifiers but it is what it is.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Why do you think musicians and artisans in general traditionally have liberal political leanings?

__________________________________________________ _____________

Thanks in advance - I may regret this...

Dale

Yep. You may regret this.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Wondering where all the voices of dissent went?...
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ty-voice/rants
    When this place craters check this out...
    http://village.melodyvine.com/forum/

Comment

I am 67, have fooled around with politics and music all my life and have a few opinions (you know what they say about opinions). Feel free to PM me your question or a link or whatever and I promise to be honest. As FF say....

Comment

What's the bulk of the book about?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp
          View Post

What's the bulk of the book about?

Choice

Comment

I think musicians tend to be more liberal than non-musicians because music is egalitarian. Good music can be made by many people regardless of race, religion, family background or wealth. If you dig good music and the people that make it, you tend to be more inclusive. Conservatives, I think, tend to be exclusive.
            I am not stupid, I just don't type very well.

God created everything, including evolution.

Comment

Interesting. When you say 'artisans' do you mean skilled craftspeople as distinct from artists, or did you mean artists?

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with the basic premise.....

Where I grew up in the Midwest, most musicians I knew were pretty conservative.

Here in California I played in a fairly liberal area (big surprise?), but the musicians were split about equally as I recall. Maybe leaning more conservative than liberal.

The difference was that the liberal musicians tended to wear their politics on their sleeve, while the conservatives usually just kept mum about politics, especially on stage.

At least that's the way this old guy remembers things.

Paul

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp
                  View Post

Interesting. When you say 'artisans' do you mean skilled craftspeople as distinct from artists, or did you mean artists?

Yes, I meant to include artisans. Musicians are the primary interest but an artisan would include luthiers as well as others skilled in artistic craft. In my mind, a musician is skilled in an artistic craft. Didn"t mean to get into semantics, but I see the point.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DCS
                    View Post

Yes, I meant to include artisans. Musicians are the primary interest but an artisan would include luthiers as well as others skilled in artistic craft. In my mind, a musician is skilled in an artistic craft. Didn"t mean to get into semantics, but I see the point.

Another point of semantics: do you mean a classical liberal, as derived from the root word liberty, or a liberal in the modern context, i.e., a coercive collectivist?
                    I'm just sayin'

Wanna read the finest freedom fantasy of all time? --> http://www.abelard.org/e-f-russell.php

Comment

Harmony Central already has a forum for politics called "The Political Party" I am sure they would love to have you ask questions over there. We generally like to keep things non-political here and focus on acoustic guitar and all that goes with it.
                      Guitars = Chick Magnet
                      Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet
                      You do the math.

HCAG Civil Posters Society, Charter Member #002.
                      Simple music is the hardest music to play and blues is simple music. - Albert Collins

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer
                        View Post

Harmony Central already has a forum for politics called "The Political Party" I am sure they would love to have you ask questions over there. We generally like to keep things non-political here and focus on acoustic guitar and all that goes with it.

Maybe he's secretly penning a little acoustic ditty entitled, "The Political Party," and he's mining this forum for lyrical ideas!
                        I'm just sayin'

Wanna read the finest freedom fantasy of all time? --> http://www.abelard.org/e-f-russell.php

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by OldTwelver
                          View Post

. . . The difference was that . . . the conservatives usually just kept mum about politics, especially on stage.

At least that's the way this old guy remembers things.

Paul

Perhaps true at one time but it seems nowadays a fair number of Country performers are pretty political. Have been for quite a while in my experience.
                          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                          Member of the Schecter Society
                          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

The premise is rooted on modern popular music and the poliltical leanings of artists of the last 60 years.

Rock and roll is a youth movement, youth driven sensibility. And youth are rebellious, socially striving, sensitive to fairness in the world, and economically naive. And just stupid. Thus the attraction to leftist politics.

200 years ago this may have been different.
                            Good Day. I said Good Day!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DCS
                              View Post

Thanks.

I just wasn't sure of the question. If you'd meant "artist," then I did have a theory as to why they might trend left. Artisan, otoh, covers so many more people that I'm not sure any liberal tendency exists. I can't think of a reason why it would.

Comment

Working...
                              X