Busker in Paradise

wkendhacker

• Members

I just posted this on Facebook. Thought it might be worth a mention to my like-minded brethren and sistren here:

I was just reminded of the time I worked as a "busker" in Key West. It was for about 2 hours on Duvalle street and I always wanted to do it, so I opened my guitar case for donations and played at South Beach, which is a tiny little man-made beach off Duvalle (obviously NOT THE South Beach in Miami.) I think I made about 6 bucks. Nice to have this to fall back on when and if I ever retire...or at least it's another check off the bucket list.

• Members

Well hell, three bucks an hour ain't bad. I remember my first job out of high school. One dollar per hour, minimum wage, and I was glad to get it! Of course, that was 52 years ago. Worked a 45 hour week, so 5 of those hours were at $1.50 per hour.....Whoo-Hoo!!

Worked that job for three years because it was paying for my tuition through a night school course in electronics at what is now known as DeVry. After electronics school I scored a job that paid $100 per week! I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven!

And Bob said, "Oh The Times They Are A-Changin"..........

• Members

I only "busked" once, and it wasn't even intentional. I really didn't even know what busking was ......

I was just killing time, and because I never left a guitar in the van unattended, I had it with me while I was sitting on a bench enjoying the ocean view. Pulled the guitar out and left the case open while I sang and played a few tunes. I was mildly surprised when people started dropping money in the case. After about $30 (it was a tourist area), I started playing a little more carefully, with a better song selection. Don't remember the exact cash haul, but I realized I now had a viable income backup plan if needed.

Paul

Archived