Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busker in Paradise

I just posted this on Facebook. Thought it might be worth a mention to my like-minded brethren and sistren here:

I was just reminded of the time I worked as a "busker" in Key West. It was for about 2 hours on Duvalle street and I always wanted to do it, so I opened my guitar case for donations and played at South Beach, which is a tiny little man-made beach off Duvalle (obviously NOT THE South Beach in Miami.) I think I made about 6 bucks. Nice to have this to fall back on when and if I ever retire...or at least it's another check off the bucket list.
    The "artist" formerly known as RKO

Well hell, three bucks an hour ain't bad. I remember my first job out of high school. One dollar per hour, minimum wage, and I was glad to get it! Of course, that was 52 years ago. Worked a 45 hour week, so 5 of those hours were at $1.50 per hour.....Whoo-Hoo!!

Worked that job for three years because it was paying for my tuition through a night school course in electronics at what is now known as DeVry. After electronics school I scored a job that paid $100 per week! I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven!

And Bob said, "Oh The Times They Are A-Changin"..........
    Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

Have they gotten uppity in Key West? They used to call it Duval Street.
      Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

Comment

I only "busked" once, and it wasn't even intentional. I really didn't even know what busking was ......

I was just killing time, and because I never left a guitar in the van unattended, I had it with me while I was sitting on a bench enjoying the ocean view. Pulled the guitar out and left the case open while I sang and played a few tunes. I was mildly surprised when people started dropping money in the case. After about $30 (it was a tourist area), I started playing a little more carefully, with a better song selection. Don't remember the exact cash haul, but I realized I now had a viable income backup plan if needed.

Paul

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend.
          View Post

Have they gotten uppity in Key West? They used to call it Duval Street.

Oops. You are correct. Guess I overthunk it.
          The "artist" formerly known as RKO

Comment

Until recently I was busking 3-4 days a week at the downtown mall bus terminal. I usually made $15-$20 an hour for 2 hours a day. I have busked on & off for at least 25 years now.
            Guitars = Chick Magnet
            Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet
            You do the math.

HCAG Civil Posters Society, Charter Member #002.
            Simple music is the hardest music to play and blues is simple music. - Albert Collins

Comment

I busk pretty much every day. You can do quite well sometimes but abysmally others. My main foe at the moment is the weather. Winter in Engerlund is ****************ty...brrrr.....
              "If you walk through the streets of life looking behind you, you're gonna bump into ****************"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettoothtony
                View Post

I busk pretty much every day. You can do quite well sometimes but abysmally others. My main foe at the moment is the weather. Winter in Engerlund is ****************ty...brrrr.....

So, you have a guitar again? Nice!
                I'm just sayin'

Wanna read the finest freedom fantasy of all time? --> http://www.abelard.org/e-f-russell.php

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Heartstring
                  View Post

So, you have a guitar again? Nice!

I meant with my ukulele lol but I do have my newly modded electric back.
                  "If you walk through the streets of life looking behind you, you're gonna bump into ****************"

Comment

Working...
                  X