Fastest Girl In Town

maplebbay

• Members

I think you BOTH did a great job there maplebbay. That said, I like her hair-do better than yours. smile.gif

Are you open to a constructive "critique"?

When you're backing up a vocalist, it's best to "highlight" her vocals with your playing. If you play constantly, and at the same volume, as she's singing, the voice and guitar compete against each other. It's best to strum lightly as she sings, and increase the impact of your strumming between her vocalizations. You'll have a much cleaner, and more dynamic mix.

Great job.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

That was cool. Loved both parts. I didn't think the guitar and vocal interfered with each other at all--but I'm going to think about this next time we gig. If anything I strum louder than this and maybe I need to back it off.

Lauren is fun to watch! Yowza. You two make a great team.

But one observation: I always stand at stage left when I play, no matter whether a duo or larger ensemble. This means my headstock isn't poking into the visual field (I too am right-handed), and it feels like I have more connection to the other performers because it's easier to pivot and face them and "embrace" them, esp. in tight spaces. I've also noticed that if a band has a R-H rhythm guitarist, he or she is almost always at stage left (on R as audience sees the band).

• Members

hello Michael...sure appreciate your post and thanks for your kind feedback!

I also appreciate your insights for all of us on playing live - for me it is different from just practicing or playing at home and it helps to here your ideas...hope you have a great season and year ahead...your friend, dale.

Archived