What about the harp?

d03nut

• Members

Nobody ever discusses the harp here. I mean it's got 6 strings, several times over, doesn't it? What's the problem then? "Elitism"? In a perfect world, it would be the ultimate chick magnet, though I've rarely seen a guy play it, I must confess.

Isn't it somewhat "related" to our beloved 6-strings? C'mon, we can always talk about proper posture, finger nail length, tonewood type (?), etc., no?

Like does Eastman make harps? I'd get one sight unseen.

Am I wrong in thinking that the harp is not getting the respect it deserves?

It looks like the world won't be coming to an end after all.

I can hear harps playing....

• Members

OK, harps! A friend of mine's wife plays pedal harp and she is good. But the coolest thing she does is give people harp massage. What you do is lean into the main post of the harp and then she plays. It is the coolest feeling. She is in San Diego, and were suppose to do some Christmas carols when I go down after Christmas. We were going to do harp and hammer dulcimer, if we do we will record it.
Bob

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Starrshine View Post
But the coolest thing she does is give people harp massage. What you do is lean into the main post of the harp and then she plays. It is the coolest feeling.
Harp massage !!!??? Aahhh.....oooohhhh......ehhh. I just gotta get me one before I die. My....

Oh, stupid question: and what does she play?

• Members

Not popular because they're a bitch to carry to gigs. Whenever you leave it on stage, EVERYONE just has to put their fingers on it, the stupid "angel" jokes get tiresome, and it's really, really tough to learn how to bend notes. Also tough to clamp a snark to one.. tuning on the fly for that one drop-C# tune is slow, and.. speaking of jokes,

What's perfect pitch?

When you throw a harp into the dumpster and it lands on a uke...just doesn't make sense when you consider the heft of a full size harp..

These are all good reasons the harp isn't talked about much.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by d03nut View Post
Harp massage !!!??? Aahhh.....oooohhhh......ehhh. I just gotta get me one before I die. My....

Oh, stupid question: and what does she play?
She is classically trained. And, Neal, You step on pedals or use sharping levers to sharp to get that C# smile.gif. I have a small harp, but I find that my callouses catch on the strings, very annoying!!!
Bob

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Starrshine View Post
She is classically trained. And, Neal, You step on pedals or use sharping levers to sharp to get that C# smile.gif. I have a small harp, but I find that my callouses catch on the strings, very annoying!!!
Bob
Bob, YOU might step on pedals, but the rest of us are still trying to figure out how to bend notes on a harp the right way! And don't give me that "it's easy, there are pedals for that just like a B-Bender on a guitar" sort of rigamarole. And it's really hard to play "Stairway to Heaven" in a music store at volume enough to irritate everyone. Capos are near impossible to use. And what about slide? That's a tough one. Really tough.

Plus the thousand strings, what a day wasted changing..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineTea

View Post

Well, I've thrown harps into dumpsters and had them land on other things besides ukes. Usually, but not always something different. They've landed on banjos a couple times.

Talk about perfect effin' pitch!!!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend. View Post
You're supposed to get a harp to play while you sit on the clouds, after you die. Why worry about it now? idn_smilie.gif
Some of us would prefer not to go there...think about it...Eternity being around a bunch of folks who may or may not have either a sense of pitch or rhythm, all playing the same instruments? eek.gif

At least Hell has jazz and blues! thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by dparr View Post
I have a little "chromatic" Esabella cross strung harp.

618335_orig.jpg

The cross strung harp is a very hard instrument to learn. I have a long way to go.
I'd never get that in my neck rack! icon_lol.gif

• Members

I had a Clarsach a few years ago to repair one of the tinning keys, once repaired I found my right hand ' ran away with me' playing - not so surprising since it's another plucked string instrument.

Alison Kinnaird on Gut strung and Wire strung Clarsach ( Scottish Small Harp)

?Laoise Kelly & Michelle O'Brien?

?Alemu Aga?
Playing ?the Harp of David from Ethiopia?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Those vids are all well and good, but show me a busker. Huh. Didn't think so!

Kidding, Harp music is beautiful, as anyone who's watched the Marx Brothers knows.
When I visited Ireland a few summers ago, there was this lady who played the harp and sang on the Cliffs of Moher. Forget her name, but she was very talented. If anyone knows of a female harp playing busker who plays at the Cliffs of Moher, please let me know!

Ahh, I found her:

http://www.myspace.com/franceallart

• Members

Given the "standards of quality" that I've experienced at the Cliffs of Moher, I would have invited most of those "buskers" to leave, because they disturbed the natural beauty of the croaking Crows that invade the cliffs.
There are exeptions and that harp lady is one, but she is an exception...

• Members

Most of you are far too far away for this to count as a plug, so here goes

This link is to my bro's band, which includes a great harpist the lovely Harriet Earris.

As you can see on it Harriet happily plays everything from Trad. to Appalachian with a variety of accompanying instruments

http://www.backroomband.co.uk/watch-us-play.html

I love the harp played well, as it is here.

Maybe just a Celt thinglove.gif

Archived