Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

2007 Taylor 214e made in US but laminated...worth?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Taylor 214e made in US but laminated...worth?

I found a used 2007 US made 214e good condition, solid spruce top but laminated rosewood back and sides. With case, he is asking 650... Sounds fair doesn't it?

Seems a bit high, to be honest...new, they're around $900, and this one is 5-6 years old.

After playing it, and making sure you want it, offer him $450 in cash, maybe y'all can find a price somewhere in between. LOt of nice guitars out there for $650
    God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Taylor makes great guitars if you like the "Taylor" sound.....I don't. The 214e is very nice, but a six-year old Taylor 214e @ $650 is just a tad high priced, IMO. I'd think $500 would be a more realistic price.

I've got two guitars that were both less than $650 that, to me, are better guitars. One is an older (2001) Martin DM that I got for $400, and the other is a practically new (2012) Martin D-15M that I got for $550. I feel certain I paid less for each of these than the normal selling price would be, but it shows what's out there if you look long and hard enough. Both of mine are like brand new and both came with like new hard shell cases.

Like Terry said.....offer the guy $450 and you'll find out what he really wants for it. People usually tend to loosen up on the price a little when they see $100 bills laying in front of them.
      Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

I'll echo what Terry and John have said. My rule of thumb is that the starting point is 50% of LIST (which is 1200 from Taylors site). I deduct from that for any "issues" - wear, things that need to be fixed. I know what it costs to have repairs done - including setups - and factor that into the deal. Remember that you will not get the lifetime warrany.

For perspective, my wife bought me a 314 a few years ago for something around $750 (no E or C) - a heck of a deal, but tells me that your price is a little high. Like OJ, I never bounded with the Taylor sound, but that is something you have to decide. Play it, evaluate condition, come back here and discuss some more, make an offer.

Good luck

Comment

I have a 2004 all solid wood Taylor 214 (No E or C). I think it sounds great and more importantly it is easy to play. The neck and fret board are great for smallish hands. I have played the lam sided ones and they also play and sound great. $650.00 is to much. I paid 450.00 used, although it has no electrics.

Comment

As others above said, $650.00 is too much. They were close to $650.00 new in 2007.

Comment

OK, I hear you. I saw it...near mint, played it...sounded and felt great, bought it for 600 and it came with the Taylor hard case. Maybe I paid a hundred too much but I liked it a bunch more than the Mexican one at GC that cost a few hundred more. So I'm feelin like I got a broken in guitar that sounds great, just has two teenie nicks with perfect hard case, made in USA, for 620. Not so bad. I'm happy. Thanks all for your opinions!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gringosid
                View Post

OK, I hear you. I saw it...near mint, played it...sounded and felt great, bought it for 600 and it came with the Taylor hard case. Maybe I paid a hundred too much but I liked it a bunch more than the Mexican one at GC that cost a few hundred more. So I'm feelin like I got a broken in guitar that sounds great, just has two teenie nicks with perfect hard case, made in USA, for 620. Not so bad. I'm happy. Thanks all for your opinions!

Well, maybe you paid a little too much and maybe you didn't. Sounds like it's in beautiful condition and if you're happy with the deal you made that's all that matters.

Welcome to the HCAG forum, BTW. Always nice to see a new face around here.
                Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

Congratulations. We have a tradition of giving goats for new guitars (its a long story...) - mine are mountain goats because, well, again, another long story. Here is a little one

And before I forget my manners, welcome to HCAG

Comment

Congrats on the new guitar.

Good call on not buying a new one from Guitar Center. They sell Taylor and Martin guitars at full MAP. You are better off dealing with a small dealer. You can usually get both brands for 15% less.

Comment

Congratulation on your new guitar and welcome to the forum.
                      Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, Freeman.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gringosid
                          View Post

Enjoy it, then, and welcome.

God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes and of course, the goats.sid

Comment

50% of new
                              www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

Working...
                              X