In Memorium To The Little Ones.....

Opa John

• Members

I was sitting in my van yesterday, around 3 PM, with my grand-daughter, Elissa, while my wife was having her hair done, when I first heard the sad news about the tragic event in Newtown, CT. Elissa and I usually spend our time in the Pet Smart store next door at these times. This time, she was sound asleep in the back of the van in her car seat. I didn't wake her.

As I listened to the news on the radio, I tried to imagine how my wife and I would feel if something like this ever happened to our little Elissa. I couldn't do it. Then........I cried.

My heart goes out to all the little ones in Newtown and their parents. I can't imagine the grief they must feel at this time. I don't know how anyone could work through this. I don't think I could do it. This sort of thing isn't supposed to happen. But, sadly, sometimes it does.

Elissa8-25-11.jpg?t=1318186857

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It yanked my heart out too, John. It was so horrible that I couldn't make my mind go there - to understand how a person could do that to young children. All day long I've told myself that today those young children are in paradise; safe in the loving hands of the One who created us all, but it did little to relieve the pain. Their families must be crushed, and my tears and prayers go out to all of them. God bless the children. cry.gifcry.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OldTwelver

View Post

I wanted to play guitar last night, but I couldn't. Paul

Yeah.....I know how you feel, Paul. My wife and daughter-in-law are out doing the mall crawl this afternoon and I had planned to try to get something recorded while it's nice and quiet around here. But, I put it on hold. My heart just ain't in it today.

• Members

I know the feeling. I cried myself to sleep last night (,,,and there I go again).

I've been walking this planet for 64 years, and I don't recall a single event which touched me so profoundly as this one. Incomprehensible madness. I'm simultaneously filled with a deep sense of loss, and rage.

If decent like-minded folks stick together, maybe this time, we can finally do something about it.

• Members

Because I drive around all day for my job, and I like talk radio. I heard the news right when the stations received it. I actually called and cancelled my appointment. I just sat in my truck for a bit. The only thing I could think was, "What sort of person?"

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend.

View Post

Thanks for bringing politics into a memorial thread, TAH. mad.gif

There was no mention of any political party in my previous post, so no need for another one of your tantrums, FF...why not put your brains, instead, to helping find a solution, so maybe the day'll came when this sort of thing doesn't happen.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall

View Post

There was no mention of any political party in my previous post, so no need for another one of your tantrums, FF...why not put your brains, instead, to helping find a solution, so maybe the day'll came when this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Right on. This is not about politics, this is about getting something DONE. The bull{censored} is OVER.

• Members

This thread was started as a tribute to the the teachers and little children who were murdered by a monster. There are hurting people up there. You two had to try to make it a discussion about the the second amendment.

Yes, that is political bull{censored}, and you are both hypocrites.. Kiss my ass.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend. View Post
This thread was started as a tribute to the the teachers and little children who were murdered by a monster. There are hurting people up there. You two had to try to make it a discussion about the the second amendment.

Yes, that is political bull{censored}, and you are both hypocrites.. Kiss my ass.
For YOUR information dickhead, I am a gun-owner. I have 23 of them, almost all of which are competition handguns, or hunting rifles. I've not used ANY of them in over 25 years. I am also a swing-voter, and vote according to issues, not political affiliation. This is NOT about politics,,,,,, it's about stopping this {censored}ing madness, once and for all. I am all for a ZERO TOLERANCE approach.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note View Post
For YOUR information dickhead, I am a gun-owner. I have 23 of them, almost all of which are competition handguns, or hunting rifles. I've not used ANY of them in over 25 years. I am also a swing-voter, and vote according to issues, not political affiliation. This is NOT about politics,,,,,, it's about stopping this {censored}ing madness, once and for all. I am all for a ZERO TOLERANCE approach.
Ignore FretFiend...

Mourning the 27 deaths is certainly appropriate, but finding a solution, hopefully before this happens again, is also important.

That takes putting our collective heads together and discussing different approachs, even when they mean taking a hard look at "sacred cows".

Only have 9 guns, myself, but we're on the same page.

• Members

I am 60 years old. I am a Viet Nam vet. I have seen more than I care to. I've witnessed too many friends die. I don't think anything has affected me more. I cannot imagine what those poor kids saw and felt. I can't imagine what the families must feel. This is a very sad, sad time. I would like to to understand why, but I know I won't be able to. I am at such a loss for words, I can't really express my self yet. These tributes make tears roll down my face. I just don't get it and not sure I ever will.

• Members

I was in a tractor ripping a peanut field when the report of the shooting came on the radio. I was a police officer and firefighter for 28 years and experienced many horrific situations but could not imagine dealing with an event of that magnitude. I have a 6 year old granddaughter and I just became overwhelmed with sadness. I had to stop the tractor because I could not see where I was going. I'm afraid that this society has gone over the edge. I'm 67 years old and can remember when this country was a very different place. I don't think we will ever find our way back there. I can only send love and prayers to the families of the victims. I'm starting to hope that the Mayans were right.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by revans513

View Post

I am 60 years old. I am a Viet Nam vet. I have seen more than I care to. I've witnessed too many friends die. I don't think anything has affected me more. I cannot imagine what those poor kids saw and felt. I can't imagine what the families must feel. This is a very sad, sad time. I would like to to understand why, but I know I won't be able to. I am at such a loss for words, I can't really express my self yet. These tributes make tears roll down my face. I just don't get it and not sure I ever will.

Revans513, I wish I could offer some words to bring you a sense of consolation and comfort, but all I can say is, you, and I, and millions upon millions of people around the globe, share your sense of mourning and grief. Today we grieve,,, but tomorrow,,, we take action. Take heart revans513,,,,, we will have a positive outcome. We MUST.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 62rat View Post
I'm starting to hope that the Mayans were right.
Easy there man, I've only just started on this spinning rock.

The thing everyone has to remember about all of this is that historically this isn't an uncommon thing. The victims are really the rub here. Mass murders are just a thing that happens. I know people want to talk about blah blah gun control blah blah mental health exams. The fact of the matter is there are just some things that you can't really control. I know everyone would hope there were a way to have prevented this, but honestly think about all of it for a moment. It wouldn't have mattered.

We live in a society where politically correct has a tendency to get in the way of logical at times. I see it more than any of you because my generation has taken it to whole new levels, and I am a part of it. The fact is as far as terms go we no longer seem to be willing to "call a spade a spade" until it digs a whole right in front of us. This guy, the Virginia Tech shooter, Anders Breivik, and even the Columbine shooters wouldn't have been taken out of functioning society. We may have attempted to offer them treatment. The fact is in today's world there are loads of people like this. In today's society there are people who live their lives digitally thru games, internet, or television. They are almost the norm at this point. It makes it terribly difficult to call one person crazy then label another as normal. You're talking about a generation where self mutilation is a thing girls just do as a teen.

I know it seems like I'm some young guy talking out my ass, but I lived it. I have been diagnosed with what is essentially an "explosive rage disorder". I have received treatment, and function without a hitch. The trouble is my parents had to seek out my treatment and diagnoses. I had been to counselors countless times, and even psychiatrists/psychologists and the problem is they have a tendency to chalk up adolescence as the root cause for most all of these sort of problems. We refuse to say, "that kid is nuts and he needs help," instead we say, "oh it's just a phase." It's not guns or even the healthcare thing. It's the fact that we are so politically correct that if you call a kid antisocial people just think you are insulting their child instead of understanding the clinical meaning. Society may need to take a step back at some point and think about some things, but for now they won't.

The key is prevention. The key to prevention is realization, admission, and treatment.
It starts with being WILLING TO REALIZE and admit some people are not okay.

• Members
Easy there man, I've only just started on this spinning rock.

Please don't think that I am wishing anything bad on you or anyone else. I guess I have personally witnessed some of the worst of society and it is starting to get to me. It seems like things are on a steady downhill slope. As a Christian I know that the end of life here is not the end so I just consider death as new beginning. I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone. Just saying that I don't consider the end of the world as a bad thing. I'm sure in my heart that the souls of those innocent children are in a better place now although I doubt that thought brings a lot of comfort to their families right now.

You may write my words off as the ramblings of a tired, frustrated old man if you like but my faith gives me the ability to function in the face of events such as this, and has for many years.

Peace to you all.

Archived