Got an interesting offer at last night's gig...

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

One of the guests was some sort of an director at the Tarrant County Youth Offenders Services and is involved with "The U-Turn Program", which provides juvenile offenders and their families with help to turn the Juvie's lives around through positive reinforcement and activities. I'd met her several (like nearly 20) years ago, when I was House Supervisor at a group home for Developementally Challenged adults, and she remembered me, and she wants me to start a couple of classes, one a class to teach basic guitar skills and one to put together bands, both planned as positive outlets for these kids. Probably start out as 3 or 4 guitar classes and 2 or 3 band classes, each an hour long. Hopefully we'll be able to time all of them for the same day each week.

Supposed to get together with her in a couple of weeks to work out some details on how to get this all rolling, hopefully by March 1st.

If we come to an agreement, I think I'm going to hit up some of my friends with music stores to donate some of their slower-moving mechandise (for tax write-offs), so that we'll have at least a basic PA and a few amps, drums and electrics for the band class. Also some playable acoustic guitars, as I'm told right now there's only two available (fortunately, both are Yammies). And lots of strings, either donated or at cost.

Any suggestions are to what else I'll need to cover in these planning sessions/negotiations? Anyone here ever been involved in a project like this?

• Members

Likely the most important thing you'll need Terry, is patience, lots and lots of patience.

Keep us informed, please, on how it's going with these kids. They have probably come mostly from broken homes and have had very little positives in their lives. Showing personal interest and kindness can help a lot to instil some positive self-confidence and respect in these ones.

• Members

Likely the most important thing you'll need Terry, is patience, lots and lots of patience.

Keep us informed, please, on how it's going with these kids. They have probably come mostly from broken homes and have had very little positives in their lives. Showing personal interest and kindness can help a lot to instil some positive self-confidence and respect in these ones.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly

View Post

Likely so...

According to the brochure she gave me, it's a intense, on-site only (meaning 24/7), 8-week course for the kids, and I'm wondering if only 8-weeks will significantly make that much of a difference, but I'm game to give it my best.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly

View Post

Likely so...

According to the brochure she gave me, it's a intense, on-site only (meaning 24/7), 8-week course for the kids, and I'm wondering if only 8-weeks will significantly make that much of a difference, but I'm game to give it my best.

• Members

Terry,

I was involved several years back with a similar sounding program, helping troubled boys. I did not teach music courses, I taught welding classes to the boys.

I found in my case the ones that wanted to be there in my class were fantastic to try and work with , the ones that did not want to be there were not nearly as pleasurable!

Here they had to take some sort of a "class" they had to pick 3, choices on their lists.......The problem students were the ones who it was choice 3, Not a perfect system but it was what it was.

I agree Patience is the number on requirement, As strange as it may sound, working with troubled youth, you must have a balance of fairness and strictness. Not knowing the situation of your possible students, I can only go by those I taught. You had to be kind and fair and understanding, But you also had to balance letting them know you were in charge. Some teachers tried to play the hard ass, that did not go over so well, it was more showing you were smarter and more aware than the students may have given credit for, also showing you would not take crap if it came down to it, kind of work with me and all is great work against me and it will not be so enjoyable! Of course even the few years passed since I did this, the times have made a great difference in what a "teacher is and is not allowed to do"

The time I spent working with these students was very rewarding. I like to think many got something out of it. I was teaching welding, I am thinking with music you may be able to reach in more than I was able as we all know how music can touch a persons heart and soul!

I can not second guess what you may need to do this, on a music stand point, you certainly have the experience to figure that out and feel your way. From many of the stories you have shared, all though I do not know you in real life person, I think you have the heart and mind set to take a task like this on.

One word of advice which I am not sure how to phrase, or if what I am going to say will even make sense when typed......Give your students fair respect and trust, How ever be very prepared to yank that trust and make them earn it. Many times these troubled kids become very good at reading people and learning how to tell them what they want to hear (They are often good at playing you) If you find this happening you have to let them know you know it is happening and your not buying it! Then you can start to build a better more honest relationship with them......Make it clear you can not BS a BS er!

Well it may or may not be what you were looking for but there is my two cents.

Again I myself got much from doing it, and I like to think so did many of my students.

Best of luck, look forward to hearing more!

BTW mine was only a 9 week course, I still showed the kids I cared, taught a few basics, and think I inflicted a desire for some of them to pursue more. I am certain you will be able to do the same with at least a few.

• Members

Terry,

I was involved several years back with a similar sounding program, helping troubled boys. I did not teach music courses, I taught welding classes to the boys.

I found in my case the ones that wanted to be there in my class were fantastic to try and work with , the ones that did not want to be there were not nearly as pleasurable!

Here they had to take some sort of a "class" they had to pick 3, choices on their lists.......The problem students were the ones who it was choice 3, Not a perfect system but it was what it was.

I agree Patience is the number on requirement, As strange as it may sound, working with troubled youth, you must have a balance of fairness and strictness. Not knowing the situation of your possible students, I can only go by those I taught. You had to be kind and fair and understanding, But you also had to balance letting them know you were in charge. Some teachers tried to play the hard ass, that did not go over so well, it was more showing you were smarter and more aware than the students may have given credit for, also showing you would not take crap if it came down to it, kind of work with me and all is great work against me and it will not be so enjoyable! Of course even the few years passed since I did this, the times have made a great difference in what a "teacher is and is not allowed to do"

The time I spent working with these students was very rewarding. I like to think many got something out of it. I was teaching welding, I am thinking with music you may be able to reach in more than I was able as we all know how music can touch a persons heart and soul!

I can not second guess what you may need to do this, on a music stand point, you certainly have the experience to figure that out and feel your way. From many of the stories you have shared, all though I do not know you in real life person, I think you have the heart and mind set to take a task like this on.

One word of advice which I am not sure how to phrase, or if what I am going to say will even make sense when typed......Give your students fair respect and trust, How ever be very prepared to yank that trust and make them earn it. Many times these troubled kids become very good at reading people and learning how to tell them what they want to hear (They are often good at playing you) If you find this happening you have to let them know you know it is happening and your not buying it! Then you can start to build a better more honest relationship with them......Make it clear you can not BS a BS er!

Again I myself got much from doing it, and I like to think so did many of my students.

BTW mine was only a 9 week course, I still showed the kids I cared, taught a few basics, and think I inflicted a desire for some of them to pursue more. I am certain you will be able to do the same with at least a few.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TESmith

View Post

Terry,

Very much appreciate your thoughts and advice! cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TESmith

View Post

Terry,

Very much appreciate your thoughts and advice! cool.gif

• Members

Some 30 years ago, I was involved in playing music in a Juvie detention facility. The experience was very rewarding. Those kids respect and appreciate honesty, and can spot a bull{censored}ter a mile away smile.gif Many are there because adults led them down the wrong path. Teach them a more excellent way!

Good luck with the noble project.

• Members

Some 30 years ago, I was involved in playing music in a Juvie detention facility. The experience was very rewarding. Those kids respect and appreciate honesty, and can spot a bull{censored}ter a mile away smile.gif Many are there because adults led them down the wrong path. Teach them a more excellent way!

Good luck with the noble project.

• Members

Patience is the key factor, Terry. A virtue in which I'm sorely lacking.

There's a big church on the south side of town where they conduct a guitar, fiddle, mandolin and banjo workshop every Wednesday afternoon in the basement multi-purpose room for some of the local kids in the neighborhood who want to learn to play. A lot of the guys I used to jam bluegrass with go there every week to help out. I was invited by one of the guys to come down and try to help out with the guitar section.

I gave it a shot, but the huge generation gap and that "patience" thing was hindering my efforts. I felt like I was causing more harm than good, so I politely begged out of it after a few weeks of trying.

I salute you for even considering this venture. It's what the young people need today. Too many kids out there with too much free time on their hands. I feel the world would be a better place if more kids got into music than the violent video games and other distasteful activities so many of them are involved with.

Best of luck in this new venture, Terry. Keep us posted as to how it works out.

• Members

Patience is the key factor, Terry. A virtue in which I'm sorely lacking.

There's a big church on the south side of town where they conduct a guitar, fiddle, mandolin and banjo workshop every Wednesday afternoon in the basement multi-purpose room for some of the local kids in the neighborhood who want to learn to play. A lot of the guys I used to jam bluegrass with go there every week to help out. I was invited by one of the guys to come down and try to help out with the guitar section.

I gave it a shot, but the huge generation gap and that "patience" thing was hindering my efforts. I felt like I was causing more harm than good, so I politely begged out of it after a few weeks of trying.

I salute you for even considering this venture. It's what the young people need today. Too many kids out there with too much free time on their hands. I feel the world would be a better place if more kids got into music than the violent video games and other distasteful activities so many of them are involved with.

Best of luck in this new venture, Terry. Keep us posted as to how it works out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by aj_guitarist

View Post

Its all about being postive. setting clear rules and giving a lot of praise. You will be a great force for change.

nice idea for getting free gear (using tax write off).

Hopefully, it'll work...one guy has already told me he'll get me strings, picks and other small items at cost, and see what else he can afford to help out with, which, considering that he just opened his shop less than a year ago, is pretty generous, I think. cool.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Monkey

View Post

If you really want to get into it, you might read "teaching with love and logic"--it's a canonical text in education and gives you just about all the student management tools you'd need.

OK, will look for it...thanks!

And thanks for all the encouragement, Peeps... thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by aj_guitarist

View Post

Its all about being postive. setting clear rules and giving a lot of praise. You will be a great force for change.

nice idea for getting free gear (using tax write off).

Hopefully, it'll work...one guy has already told me he'll get me strings, picks and other small items at cost, and see what else he can afford to help out with, which, considering that he just opened his shop less than a year ago, is pretty generous, I think. cool.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Monkey

View Post

If you really want to get into it, you might read "teaching with love and logic"--it's a canonical text in education and gives you just about all the student management tools you'd need.

OK, will look for it...thanks!

And thanks for all the encouragement, Peeps... thumb.gif

• Members

Terry, have you thought about posting an ad on CL for musical instrument donations? I've seen them before. Posted by people doing the same kind of thing you're proposing to do. There's gotta be tons of guitars out there just sitting in people's closets gathering dust that they might donate for such a worthy cause. Maybe some need fixing up a bit, but you could weed those out later. At the price of Craig's List ads, it sure wouldn't cost anything to try it.

• Members

Terry, have you thought about posting an ad on CL for musical instrument donations? I've seen them before. Posted by people doing the same kind of thing you're proposing to do. There's gotta be tons of guitars out there just sitting in people's closets gathering dust that they might donate for such a worthy cause. Maybe some need fixing up a bit, but you could weed those out later. At the price of Craig's List ads, it sure wouldn't cost anything to try it.

Archived