ANGD

Ricochet

• Members

(A=Accidental)

Have you ever done the thing where you place a bid on an ebay item that you don't really expect to win, but end up winning it?

Well, that's what happened here. I'd been following an auction for a new Yamaha A3M, it was within a couple hours of ending, and the price was at ~$400, still below the reserve. I figured the reserve was probably at least $600, probably more, since they go for $799. I put in a bid of $499, fully expecting it to still be below the reserve price but thinking to myself 'hey, I'd be pretty pleased to get this guitar for $499'. Well, turns out that $499 was the reserve price, which surprised the heck out of me. Even more surprising, the bid held up.

So, yesterday, my new A3M arrived. Here's a couple of quick cellphone pics:
p1330392440-5.jpg
p1330386970-3.jpg

I'm liking it a lot, both the look and sound of it. Nice wood rosette and binding, cool (to my eyes, anyway) retro pickguard. Sound wise, I'd say it sounds halfway between what I'd call the 'typical' Yamaha sound and the 'typical' Taylor sound, at least to my ears. The hog sides and back give it a tighter, more articulate sound than the rosewood A3's, which I prefer. I really like how the neck feels, very easy to play. Put some new strings on and ... damn, now I have to work.

• Members

Thanks, all! Spent about an hour with it yesterday evening, very pleased with it. The top is definitely more 'tanned' than most spruce-top Yamahas I've seen. I don't know why that is (most of the A-series guitars I've seen are like that), but I like it.

Paul - You'll have to factor in my relative lack of skill / experience (especially on acoustics), but I'll plan to do a followup 'report' down the road a bit.

Terry - Per Yamaha, sides / back are 'hog, actually (thus the 'M' in the name). There are rosewood A-series guitars too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia View Post
Bump. Local mom and pop is closing one out for $475 and I'm very tempted ...
A few notes now that I've had more time with it:
1) I love the look/feel/build quality of this guitar.
2) The electronics are really versatile for sound shaping
3) Very, very playable neck. I love satin neck finishes, the A-series have 'em.
4) Sound-wise, it still seems more towards the Taylor end of the spectrum. I'd call it moderately jangly with an underlying warmth to it. I currently have light gauge PB strings on it, haven't tried others yet.
5) I think these are selling poorly because they are too close in price to the LL series, which others seem to think are nicer (haven't seen one, myself). Or, maybe people just don't think of Yamaha for guitars over $500, I dunno.

The closest equivalent, IMO, is a Taylor 314ce.

$475 is a steal if its a 3, not a 1. If I could find an AC3R or M for $475, I'd probably buy it to complement my A3M.

Archived