best bang for the buck guitar?

wkendhacker

• Members

How many bucks do you have, and how much bang do you want? idn_smilie.gif

If all you got is a hundred bucks, a Rogue or similar will be the best bang for the buck guitar.
If you have a couple of grand, a Martin D-28 or 000-28 maybe.
If you really have deep pockets, might I suggest an Olson. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
Almost in agreement...Some Martins are amazing, some are kinda lacking. Yamaha, Guild, and Taylor are dependable.

If you're talking Hoboken or Westerly Guilds, I'll agree with you. But after Fender took over, not so much. I test drove a few newer Guild 12's a year or so ago, and there was just something missing. The punch seemed to be lacking. Hard to describe. Sort of like leaving the salt out of the stew. All the meat, and carrots, and potatoes and celery were there, but it just wasn't right. Maybe it was my 66-year-old ears, but they just weren't the same.

I do think Sandy Cheeks has a point, though. I wouldn't feel bad about putting Seagull on the list.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller View Post
a Keller. The last one I sold was for the cost of materials plus one dollar.
Not a bad deal, Freeman. Is it being used well?

That brings a good point though: there's something satisfying about making something with your own two hands. I'm hoping the first Kwakatak guitar is able to make something resembling music without any intonation issues and a good bit of sustain. THat being said, I don't think that it's been a great "bang for the buck" since I burned through two of everything to make 1 guitar and had to buy tools along the way too. All told I think I'll have put in at least as much on my cedar/mahogany medium jumbo as the monetary cost of the used 2007 Taylor GSMC (precursor to the GS5) that has been sitting in my local mom & pop shop and lists at $1400. So far I have about $200 in materials invested in Kwakatak #2 - but then again I'm recycling some bits and pieces from my old Lawsuit Tak. Not the JLD though.

But we're talking factory instruments so I'll digress. Even then, it changes for me with each discovery. This past visit to GC opened my eyes to a used Martin DM for $675. Even then, that's not the best deal I've heard of for that particulat model. Indeed, I thought my D-16GT was a good buy at $950 but a week after putting down a deposit on it I found one with a Baggs element installed listed for $500.

I guess the best bang for the buck is kind of like playing Russian roulette. You have to know when to pull the trigger or risk getting a bigger hole blown in your wallet.

OT: Jeez- listen to me. It's almost like I"m some kind of gun nut! wink.gif

• Members

Neil, I couldn't help but notice your comment about the DM you found for $675. Just a little reminder.......I bought my DM, with case, pristine condition, when it was 10 years old and got it for $400. This DM amazes me every time I pick it up. So, I'm sure you can find a DM for quite a bit less than $675. I feel the DM is a lot better guitar than most people would believe. I think it's one of the Martin models you have to own for awhile before you realize just how good it really is. Could also be part of the reason Martin stopped building them. (?)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kiowa1 View Post
If you're talking Hoboken or Westerly Guilds, I'll agree with you. But after Fender took over, not so much. I test drove a few newer Guild 12's a year or so ago, and there was just something missing. The punch seemed to be lacking. Hard to describe. Sort of like leaving the salt out of the stew. All the meat, and carrots, and potatoes and celery were there, but it just wasn't right. Maybe it was my 66-year-old ears, but they just weren't the same.

I do think Sandy Cheeks has a point, though. I wouldn't feel bad about putting Seagull on the list.
Agreed about "Fenderized" Guilds...I was pretty sure that Fender would botch Guild up somewhat and I'm sorry to note that I was right. OTOH, it seems that "real" Guilds are increasing in value...examples like my two '70s F-212XLs, that I bought about 15 years ago for $350 and $375 apiece, now often go for 3X that on Ebay, much closer to their actual value as instruments. Ironically, their import line, the GADs, are often better sounding, at a much lower price point...how weird is that?

And agree about Seagulls, although I'm not crazy about the shape of their necks...good guitars for the price, and great guitars used.

• Members

I guess I wasn't clear enough, or it was a stupid question to begin with. I was looking for a specific guitar that you think is the best bang. Not "Yamaha." But "Yamaha FG730."

Feel free to let this thread die a quick death. And Fret, I know there are different good deals depending on budget, but I was just looking for the 1 guitar you thought was the best for the money.

never mind. Sorry. back to lurking...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wkendhacker View Post
I guess I wasn't clear enough, or it was a stupid question to begin with. I was looking for a specific guitar that you think is the best bang. Not "Yamaha." But "Yamaha FG730."

Feel free to let this thread die a quick death. And Fret, I know there are different good deals depending on budget, but I was just looking for the 1 guitar you thought was the best for the money.

never mind. Sorry. back to lurking...
OK, thanks for clarifying...the Yamaha FG730 is an excellent bang-per-buck example in that price range. In higher price ranges, there'll be others.

If you can give a specific price range, + or - $100, I'm sure we can help you out further.

Also, are we talking "new" or is "used" an option?

• Members

Best bang for the buck in a resonator is still a National. Although there are a few clones out there that do try to come close. The Hot Rod Steel brand has them made in China, then set up very well in the USA. Good things I've heard about these. Then there's the Busker from the UK, same sort of thing, China, set up very well in the UK. Then Republic, sort of set up, but lots cheaper than the HRS and Busker, so you can take that money and have it set up custom for you.

All wood Guitars.... Idunno, can anyone fault the Recording King or Blueridge lineup? These are pretty much Martin sort of clones that are pretty well done.

Y'know though, folks chase that "special" guitar, but really great music has been made on much lesser stock. I think the player has a lot to do with the "best bang for the buck" guitar, don't you?

Archived