New-be question about "A" string noise.

Klorack

• Members

I have tried finding the answer to this question in archives so sorry if this has been covered. Why does it seem my "A" string ( 5th string) is making sound when I play "High E" (first string ) and is this common? If not is this something I should have looked at when I have my new guitar set up for the first time.

• Members

Yep....that's what GW is referring to. I've got a cheap Yamaha classical that does the same thing on the "D" string whenever the "A" string is plucked. I'm not positive, but I think it's due to the strings I have on it now......it never did it with the original strings......or, at least, if it did, I didn't notice it.

I can barely hear it, actually, and since I only play that guitar once in a blue moon I haven't done anything about it. I suspect the sound may go away the next time I put new strings on it. If not, I'll sell the damned thing and let the next guy worry about it. I never liked that guitar anyway! facepalm.gif

• Members

Well after some scientific evaluation I have concluded that is to harmonic frequence that the "A" string is subjected to connected to a amp that will have the note play longer then normal.

I will have to say that with the brand strings that came with this guitar that even off amp the harmonic frequence plays a part in the noise produced with "High E" string of this make or brand of strings with this guitar. As I have stated that I my self am a new person to playing this interment i am new to this. If this is normal PLEASE just state that and be done with this thread!

• Members

Is the action too low where it may be touching one of the frets? Could it be a loose bridge or nut? I've never heard of this before so I'm just suggesting things I would check. Someone like Freeman Keller would perhaps be a help to you if you PM'd him. He is always very helpful.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Opa John

View Post

I have over 50 years experience from which to draw on and my experience tells me that the high tech answer to your problem is you got something hittin' against something. poke.gifbiggrin.gif

I would swear you've hit on something there, John.smile.gificon_lol.gifsmile.gif

• Members

First off thanks for all who tride to have some type of input about this vibration of the strings when playing other "notes". This guitar is new and I have had it for 1 week. Is this something I should return the guitar for or am I just being anal? I have even been contemplating getting a more expensive model. The guitar plays nice and is easy to play but that ghost noise is starting to worry me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Klorack

View Post

First off thanks for all who tride to have some type of input about this vibration of the strings when playing other "notes". This guitar is new and I have had it for 1 week. Is this something I should return the guitar for or am I just being anal? I have even been contemplating getting a more expensive model. The guitar plays nice and is easy to play but that ghost noise is starting to worry me.

Klorack, something like this is almost impossible to diagnose in an internet discussion. I could give you a long list of possibilities - more information from you could help narrow it down. Since the guitar is new, take it back where you got it and have someone more experienced look/listen.

What you are describing does not sound "normal" - if you want to try to figure it out here I'm going to ask a lot of questions.

• Members

Freeman Keller, thanks for your response. I will do as you said and take the guitar back to the store. I have taken everything each person has said and there is nothing touching the strings on the guitar. No fret buzz. The sound comes from mostly just the "A" string with out being touch and will last longer then the other strings tone.

• Members

Well I want back to the store and explained what was going on with the guitar and the salesman said " That is normal." . I would have to learne to palm the guitar so the strings don't make noise. I had the guitar with me and he never even picked it up to check it out. I stated I was not happy with the guitar and made a bigger mistake getting another guitar that was on display. It's Takamine EG340C. I made the mistake thinking it was the EG340SC because I didn't take my time and felt rushed because how bussy the store was. I'm not pleasing blam on that its my mistake but I have learned some things.

Don't buy any more display guitars wait for the one you want if its not in-stock and don't rush on buying any guitar.

• Members

Doesn't sound like much of a store to me - or salesman for that matter.

I'm even more confused by your last post. Did you get another guitar? Why is it a "bigger mistake"? Or are you keeping the one that you had bought? Do you want me to try to talk you thru figuring out what is wrong? If so I'm going to ask a lot of questions.

btw - the difference between the C and SC is that the latter is solid top - shouldn't have any effect on the problem you are describing. Might affect the unplugged sound, probably not the plugged.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Opa John

View Post

I have over 50 years experience from which to draw on and my experience tells me that the high tech answer to your problem is you got something hittin' against something. poke.gifbiggrin.gif

Brilliant... really brilliant. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller

View Post

Doesn't sound like much of a store to me - or salesman for that matter.

I'm even more confused by your last post. Did you get another guitar? Why is it a "bigger mistake"? Or are you keeping the one that you had bought? Do you want me to try to talk you thru figuring out what is wrong? If so I'm going to ask a lot of questions.

btw - the difference between the C and SC is that the latter is solid top - shouldn't have any effect on the problem you are describing. Might affect the unplugged sound, probably not the plugged.

I exchanged the Yamaha FGX700SC for the Takamine EG340C. The Yamaha is a better guitar all around and sounds better then the Takamine after getting to play both in my home where I can hear the sound butter then in the store. The big mistake is I paid more for less. $50 bucks more.

I'm taking that guitar back and just going to do it right this time. I'll get the Yamaha FGX730SC new shopped to the house.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Klorack

View Post

I exchanged the Yamaha FGX700SC for the Takamine EG340C. The Yamaha is a better guitar all around and sounds better then the Takamine after getting to play both in my home where I can hear the sound butter then in the store. The big mistake is I paid more for less. $50 bucks more.

I'm taking that guitar back and just going to do it right this time. I'll get the Yamaha FGX730SC new shopped to the house.

So my assumption is that you've solved your noisy A string problem by buying a new guitar (or two).

btw - lots of love for the Yamies on this forum.

Archived