What guitar to buy

Ashir

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No one? Did I do something wrong?
And also, are the strings solely responsible for the sound? If so, why is the guitar so credited with the sound? It is because they come with their own strings or something? Because I have this 1/2, terrible-condition acoustic from years ago and I recognized that 2 strings were of a different material and had that fluent sound I was talking about sound.
Another example is the intro to Dream Theater's OTBOA:

The Yamaha F310 looks the most promising, so unless suggested otherwise I'm going to try my luck with that. Still waiting for a few weeks in case I find something better for my money.

• Members

I don't live in the UK, so I can't help you about guitar availability and prices there. Do you have a music/guitar teacher, or perhaps some friends who know something about guitars? Maybe they can give you some advice. Yamaha is good, but I think there a couple of brands that might be better in the UK. Garthman or Katopp are from the UK, and they may be along shortly with some better answers.

I'd like one that can play songs such as...
Strange request. idn_smilie.gif It's more the player than the guitar.

BTW, electro-acoustic is an acoustic guitar with electrics built into it, so it can be plugged into an amplifier.

• Members

No problem. If you suggest any, I'll check to see whether they're available here.

Uhm, my cousin I guess, but he's more into screamo metal so he into electrics. Besides, I haven't been in touch with him for years. But sure, I guess I could ask my (not private) music teacher.

Yeah, there's just that exotic sound that Opeth has that you can't get out of a regular folk/country one. I doubt you could get it from a Rogue or something. Or maybe it's just that that sound is made using only one string after another and not a chord, I've noticed that in those type of songs. Come to think of it, it's probably that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7nIxemKjc

By electrics, do you mean the controls as seen in this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52I_cUO_bt0

And do you suggest them, or aren't they worth the extra money?

Thanks for answering!

• Members

Ease of play has more to do with the set up than the brand or style of guitar. Nice low strings but not so low they buzz, a well crafted nut, nice smooth frets, etc. Most guitars (major brands at least) nowadays come set up pretty decently, but all can be improved by a good luthier.
The style of music has way more to do with the player and the techniques used than the kind of guitar. Just about any guitar can play any style of music. Yes they're differences, but most wont be noticed by the beginner. About the only thing you would notice would be nylon string classical vs a steel string, thats a big difference. I'm assuming you want a regular steel string guitar.
Electronics are in there to amplify the guitar. To use them, you must also have an amp to plug it into. I dont recommend electronics on an inexpensive guitar because they usually suck. Thats the one major area they usually skimp on the keep the price low on electric acoustic models. You can always get a pickup installed and buy an amp later, after you sorta learn a few things about playing guitar.
I suggest you go to a shop and see whats available that you can afford. Look for something with a solid wood top for best tone usually. Even if you cant play yet, hold them and see whats seems comfortable in terms of body size and neck width. Pick out 3 or 4 and have the guy at the shop play them for you. Then just bite the bullet and pick your poison.
Big important thing: Make sure you get a tuner and learn to use it. No need to spend a bunch. A simple clip on the headstock one is fine. Or if you have a smartphone, there are tuner aps for cheap. But in any case you need an in tune guitar to learn on for sure.

• Members

Had a look at the Thoman UK site, Id consider these:

Recording King RD-06
Recording King RD-06 Acoustic Steel Guitar, Dreadnought, solid Sitka Spruce thomann Top, X-Bracing, Back & Sides Mahogany, Mahogany Neck, C-Profile, Rosewood Fretboard, 20 Frets, Scale 645mm, nut width 43 mm, Bone Nut, Tortoise Shell Body Binding, Finish Natural Nitrocellulose

Washburn WD-10S NT Washburn Heritage Series WD-10S NT. Acoustic Dreadnought style guitar, Solid Alaskan thomann Sitka Spruce top, Quarter sawn scalloped bracing, Mahogany sides and back, Satin finished mahogany neck with two-way truss rod, Neck and headstock binding, Rosewood fingerboard and bridge with bone nut and ...

The Loar LH-250-SN Vintage Sunburst
The thomann Loar LH-250-SN VS Small Body Acoustic Steel Guitar, Folk Style, solid Spruce Top, Back & Sides solid Mahogany, Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Abalone/M.O.P. Inlays Headstock, Open Butterbean Tuners, Scale 648mm, Bone Nut, Nut width 42,90mm, Finish: Sunburst. optional Case: 122212

Washburn WF-10S NT
Washburn Heritage Series WF-10S NTAcoustic, Folk style guitar, Solid Alaskan thomann Sitka Spruce top, Quarter sawn scalloped bracing, Mahogany sides and back, Satin finished mahogany neck with two-way truss rod, Neck and headstock binding, Rosewood fingerboard and bridge with bone nut and saddle,...

• Members

Should be able to find a few used Crafter models in your price range Perhaps a D6 or D7, or a GA6 or GA7
I was trying to browse UK ads and there seem to be a few of these available in your price range, More so in private sales than from a dealer it appears.

Patience is a plus trying to take your time find the right guitar for you that feels good and sounds right in your hands, Do you have any friends that play that could go along and check the guitar out for you to make sure it is decent condition?
That could be a big plus!

• Members

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have to wait for my reply to be confirmed by an administrator (multi-quote) so I'll just add on to what I said on the TBC post.
@Katopp, those guitars are all above the price range. You probably read the dollars as GBP. To clarify, it's a maximum of

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ashir View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone! I have to wait for my reply to be confirmed by an administrator (multi-quote) so I'll just add on to what I said on the TBC post.
@Katopp, those guitars are all above the price range. You probably read the dollars as GBP. To clarify, it's a maximum of

• Members

I don't understand - the specs for the Yamaha say that it's a spruce top. Or am I reading it wrong, and that it's better to have a laminated plywood top?

The steel strings are definitely what I'm after. Thanks for providing examples!

• Members

Its laminated spruce.
Typically guitar makers put "solid" in front of the wood type if its not laminated.
Otherwise you can assume laminated.
Its a marketing thing.
Laminated is less expensive so they don't brag about it or publicize the fact smile.gif
If you want solid wood you gotta pay for it, sorry.

• Members

100 quid?
Save a little longer or try to get one of the aforementioned guitars used.
Quality control is costly and everything in your price range will be subject to ... well a lack of quality control. If you have a guitar-playing friend who can help you, you might strike luck, but if not ... you better save up a few more quid and get one of the guitars we've suggested to you. IMHO the Washburn 10 or 20 is the one to go for...

• Members

Originally Posted by Pine Apple Slim

Its laminated spruce.

Typically guitar makers put "solid" in front of the wood type if its not laminated.

Otherwise you can assume laminated.

Its a marketing thing.

Laminated is less expensive so they don't brag about it or publicize the fact

If you want solid wood you gotta pay for it, sorry.

Got it, thanks.

@other posts,,

No way I could do that. 10 more would be manageable, but 60's a no-go. I'd have to wait until early 2014 at best. Maybe I should just go with a

• Members

Meh, I won't be taking it anywhere too often, so it won't be an essential.

And can anyone tell me whether you usually have to wait this long for a multiquote post to be confirmed? I'm starting to think it might take days.

• Members

Alright, thanks.

Got an offer, what do you say?

Consider buying used?
I'm cutting down the number of my guitars and there would be one in a suitable range for sale...
It's the predecessor of this one http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_bent...c503ceq_nt.htm
It has a different PU/Pre than the newer one, it's set up by me, plays nicely, is almost unused, no dings or cracks and would go for 110 quid including case - but plus shipping from Ireland...

• Members

In the UK, you may also want to check out Tanglewood. They seem to be well thought of, just not many to be found in the US. Not sure what they have in your price range, tho.

Ultimately, make sure you like how it plays and sounds, that's most important. If you don't like playing it, you won't. Try a lot of guitars, and try them on multiple days.

• Members

Seems fair enough. Know nothing re the brand. Link doesn't work for me so I can't see his example.
Is there something like Craigslist in the uk, lots of decent deals in the classifieds these days. You can do much better buying used if you know what your doing. Easy to get ripped if you don't.

Archived