Yamaha FG345II

kimona

• Members

Don't know what's come over me recently, but I seem to be obsessed with collecting guitars.

Anyway, came across a Yamaha FG345II in mint condition (original owner). Looks like it's never been played and in it's original case. Seems to have aged nicely, but I guess this is just a laminate guitar with FG detail and of marginal value.

Can any Yamaha guitar head enlighten me about this model? Thanks.

• Members

Yeah, sadly it is only a laminate and as such it is practically worthless. cry.gif

'Sigh' OK, I will take pity on you and take it off your hands for $50.00 but don't let the word get around; I don't want to get pestered by others in your sad situation.

OK, enough funny business. The FG-345 is an excellent guitar and finding one in mint condition makes you a very lucky guy. Forget about what anyone says about laminate vs solid; Yamaha made several laminate top guitars that sound stunning.

Once you get it, try putting a bone saddle and brass bridge pins into it. And please post pictures and a sound clip if you can.

Congratulations! thumb.gif

• Members

Here's what the Yamaha Archives say about it:

Year(s) Sold: 1981-85
Original MSRP(US$): $305.00
Top: Spruce
Back / Sides: Rosewood
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
Bridge: Indian Rosewood
Color(s): Natural
Finish: Gloss
Tuners: TM-25T

I once owned an FG350W and I'd have to say $300 is about the most you would want to pay. They are lovely guitars though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Is it worth $300 with the original hard case?
:wince:
It'd have to be pretty much perfect.
I'd have to have it in my hands and do a very good inspection on it, including neck angle before I'd plunk down that much though it could be a go at that price.

• Members

If the neck angle is good and there is no bellying of the top and everything is else is OK (no sprung braces, no gouges in the fret board, no lifting bridge, etc.) then yes I think it would be worth the $300.00. I don't think you will find a better guitar new for that money.

FWIW my all-laminate Yamaha FG-340 wound up costing about $400.00 after all the repairs and I wouldn't sell it for $1,000.00. I wouldn't trade it for a new Taylor GS8 and that is a guitar I really love.

I hope the FG-345II is a good one and I look forward to pics and clips if you go for it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kimona

View Post

Okay, owner says it's never been played. We're at $200 now with the case.

Give it a thorough going over first, but at $200 (with the case), that could be a good deal. I say "could be" because I assume you haven't played it yet. It doesn't matter who made the guitar, or what it's made of: if it sounds like crap, it's just a wall-hanger.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Yet another one of these typical posts where the author doesn't bother to return and update.

The internalwebs are filled with these. They could be useful for decades, since they seem to live hundreds/millions of years past the dates when they were started, and as such could certainly be helpful to our ancestors, billions of years from now. But the future-ethics of people is weak. Weak like tea made from teabags already used for sun tea hours earlier, the type that grandma used to make before she started wearing diapers. Damn that was good tea!

Think of the children! Think of the children of the children! Think of the children, of the children, of the children's children's children! Then later, think of even more overpopulation. Rest for a while. Then think of their offspring too!

FINISH/UPDATE/REVISE YOUR POSTS, YOU IRRESPONSIBLE TEA BAGS!

Archived