This could be you

tbry

• Members

Sickening. However the owner MUST take the principal blame for this. Airlines have an established reputation for being destructive with baggage. Google 'United Breaks Guitars'.

Putting that guitar into the hands of an airline baggage system, in an obviously inadequate case, was pure stupidity. facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend. View Post
Sickening. However the owner MUST take the principal blame for this. Airlines have an established reputation for being destructive with baggage. Google 'United Breaks Guitars'.

Putting that guitar into the hands of an airline baggage system, in an obviously inadequate case, was pure stupidity. facepalm.gif

While boarding in Buffalo, Schneider says he asked Delta staffers not to check in the vintage guitar

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend.

View Post

Did they point a gun at him and tell him to check the guitar? Yes, he had other options.

Professional musicians do not blow off gigs just because an airline employee is being a jerk...in such a scenario, a pro makes the best of the crappy situation, even if there are unpleasant consequences from time to time...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend.

View Post

I guess he could have just refused to fly and eaten the cost of the ticket since that was the only other option.facepalm.gif

• Members
Professional people take care of the tools of their trade. idea.gif Like maybe not putting an outrageously expensive instrument in harm's way... in a substandard case. idea.gif
He was accustomed to flying with his instrument in the overhead compartments...had the airline employee followed the new rules, it still would've been safe. Oviously, you've never hauled around an instrument in a flight case...those wheels on the bottom are not a fashion statement.

A flightcase and luggage gets to be exhausting to travel with, unless you have a enterage to help carry things around, and it doesn't sound like this fellow was that far up the entertainer "food-chain".

When I have to fly, I prefer to have the guitar in the seat beside me or I make arrangements to put my guitar (only my 12-string Taylor goes with me, and I borrow a six-string when I get there for the gigs) in the Captain's closet...usually, I can charm someone into allowing this, but I'm not above using a bribe ($50 is good).

Whenever possible, though, I drive, take a bus or a train, because even in an ATA flightcase, guitars (and other instruments) get damaged/destroyed by the airlines all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo View Post
I guess he could have just refused to fly and eaten the cost of the ticket since that was the only other option.facepalm.gif
Strangely enough, refusing to show up for the gig under such circumstances is a good way to develope a reputation for being undependable and a prima donna...not conducive to ever playing that venue ever again.

Do that often enough and you'll get to say such clever phrases as "You want fries with that?" at all of your next gigs...

• Members
Lose ten thousand dollar guitars too often, and "you'll get to say such clever phrases as "You want fries with that?" at all of your next gigs" icon_lol.gif
Know what happens when you renig on a performance contract? It can cost MUCH more that the cost of getting his guitar repaired.
You're looking at the matter from the perspective of a hobbiest...he's not a hobbiest. idea.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
Know what happens when you renig on a performance contract? It can cost MUCH more that the cost of getting his guitar repaired.
You're looking at the matter from the perspective of a hobbiest...he's not a hobbiest. idea.gif
I'm looking at the matter from a realist's point of view. idea.gif

Know what happens when you lose your instrument??? Playing an air guitar won't go over too well with your audience, professional, hobbist, or rank amateur. idea.gif

There are alternatives to putting a ten grand guitar at foreseeable risk, Einstein. idea.gif Planning for snags, such as obstinate airline people, isn't rocket science. idea.gif

• Members

However, if you wish to put a ten thousand dollar guitar in a standard case in checked baggage, you are perfectly free to do so. wink.gif

I don't feel a tantrum coming on, and I don't see any need to devote any further attention to you today unless you want to throw a tantrum yourself. smile.gif

wave.gif

• Members

Know what happens when you lose your instrument??? Playing an air guitar won't go over too well with your audience, professional, hobbist, or rank amateur. idea.gif

There are alternatives to putting a ten grand guitar at foreseeable risk, Einstein. idea.gif Planning for snags, such as obstinate airline people, isn't rocket science. idea.gif
Again, for the slow...you're viewing this from a hobbiest's viewpoint, where the greatest danger your guitar is likely to encounter is your tripping over it in a drunken rage.

Pro's instruments son't lead as sheltered an existance. And pros often can't make alternate plans, for instance, obstinate airline employees, at the last moment, while still living up to the constraints of the signed contract. Just one of the things you don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Those really don't work as well as the website would like you to think...and they're certainly not airline proof, as many musicians have learned the hard way. frown.gif

• Members

Again, for the slow...you're viewing this from a hobbiest's viewpoint, where the greatest danger your guitar is likely to encounter is your tripping over it in a drunken rage.

Pro's instruments don't lead as sheltered an existance. And pros often can't make alternate plans, for instance, obstinate airline employees, at the last moment, while still living up to the constraints of the signed contract. Just one of the things you don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Those really don't work as well as the website would like you to think...and they're certainly not airline proof, as many musicians have learned the hard way. frown.gif

• Members

Again, for the slow:

If you wish to put a ten thousand dollar guitar in a standard case in checked baggage, you are perfectly free to do so. wink.gif

As I said, I don't feel a tantrum coming on, and I don't see any need to devote any further attention to you today unless you want to throw a tantrum yourself, which obviously, you do. smile.gif

wave.gif

Archived