Martin 000X1 or 000-15?

ilikeguitar90

• Members

Hi everyone,

So here's my situation. My brother got a 1970s guild D25M, and is now offering to sell me his martin 000X1 for $300. On the other hand, I've wanted a martin 000-15 for awhile now, and I can probably find one for $650-700 used fairly easily.

I know these guitars are very different, considering one has a spruce top and laminated sides, and the other has a mahogany top and mahogany sides.

So my question is, do you think the Martin 000-15 is a noticeably better guitar than the 000X1? Money isn't really an issue; it all comes down to tone and quality of the guitar.

I play mainly fingerpicking and old blues; think Robert Johnson, Junior Kimbrough, RL Burnside, Nick Drake, Bert Jansch, Bob Dylan, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Members

Not even a contest: 000-15.

Agreed.

-Matt

edit: If you decide to still with the 300.00 limit, Id take a long look at the OM Parkwood that is for sale for at least 299.00. Deals can be had on them even further (i.e., I got mine for 260.00 shipped). I know it's not the Martin you've been wanting, but Id likely prefer it over the 000X1

• Members

I'd offer him $250 for the OOOX1 and call it a day. If he sells it at that price, you'll have the nicest sounding campfire, travel, let kids try it, keep it on the stand guitars you could ever have.

AND

It will sound and play great.

My first thought was "none of the above" but this is sound advice. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the advice guys, but I'm looking for a quality acoustic that will give me professional sounds; not a campfire/take out guitar. I found a 000-15 locally for $500 with the martin hardshell case, so I'm definitely leaning towards the 000-15 at the moment. My brother left his 000X1 here for the week though, and it really is a nice guitar that is easily worth the $300 he would sell it to me for. I've played several 000X1 in the store, and they weren't nearly as nice as this one that my brother owns. It's by far the easiest acoustic I've ever played (maybe because it has been professionally set up), and it's one of those guitars that's hard for me to put down once I start playing.

I'm just hoping the 000-15 will be everything the 000X1 is and more :)

edit: about the 000-15S, I capo pretty high up the neck frequently, so I would personally prefer the normal 000-15 since it's 14 fret. I've head the 000-15S is amazing though!

• Members

Hi everyone

Sorry for such a late response, but I felt like I owed you guys an update. I got the guitar, and immediately took it to the shop later on the same day to give it a setup. I just got it back yesterday and needless to say, it's amazing.

IMG_1005.jpg

It is a 2003 model, and as you can see, it has one of those glossy marks due to the previous owner playing it so much haha (you can see it on the bottom left of the guitar in the picture). I think it's a mahogany model, but I'm not 100% sure on that (if you have an opinion on the matter, I'd love to hear it). The sound is actually brighter than I expected when I play with a pick, but I'm assuming that's because the strings are literally only a couple of days old. I can't wait until the sound mellows out a bit.

Thanks for the help everyone :thu:

• Members

"..I think it's a mahogany model, but I'm not 100% sure on that (if you have an opinion on the matter, I'd love to hear it)..."

It is. Martin didn't spec "Sapele or Genuine Mahogany" until after 2003. My 2002 000-15 looks quite similar. Doesn't the label inside the sound hole say "Mahogany ToP?''

Bud

• Members

It is. Martin didn't spec "Sapele
or
Genuine Mahogany" until after 2003. My 2002 000-15 looks quite similar. Doesn't the label inside the sound hole say "Mahogany ToP?''

Bud

Yeah I know that some 000-15 say mahagony top on the label, but mine doesn't. In the soundhole, the label says 000-15, 14 Fret, Auditorium.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

HAD A MARTIN CUTAWAY WITH THE "FORMICA" BACK AND SIDES FOR A WHILE - SHIFTED IT BECAUSE THE NECK WAS TOO NARROW FOR MY PUDGY LITTLE FINGERS - I COULDN'T PLAY CLEAN. IT WAS A GOOD GUITAR WITH PLENTY OF BASS RESPONSE &  TREBLE SHIMMER BUT I FOUND THAT WHEN I PLUGGED IT IN, THE FISHMAN 4 PICKUP 'PICKED UP' ALL THE PLASTIC - IF YOU GO WITH THE 000X1 YOU WILL NEED TO MIC THE GUITAR OR PERHAPS USE A QUALITY SOUNDHOLE PICKUP TO AVOID THIS - A PEIZO PICKUP WILL LAND YOU IN HELL....

Archived