Split top

Chordchunker

• Members

Damn.. The top on my django guitar has a friggin` 1/8-1/16" wide split/crack all the way down the middle. Starts at bottom, goes THROUGH the rosette and ends at the fingerboard. So the entire top is basically in two pieces. Oh well. Guess I`ll play it until it comes apart. mad.gif

It started as a hairline. I picked it up yesterday and noticed how far it had spread. I keep a sponge in the case but it didn`t help..

• Members

It started because the guy I bought it from put med phos bronze strings on it. BIG no no on these guitars. They use an almost silk and steel type string. I have been very ill and left it on a stand while I spent 7 days in the hospital. After the hosp. I laid in bed for almost a month. Next time I picked it up that is what I found.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
A good luthier could inlay a piece of wood into that crack and it would be stabilized, but I've no idea how "invisble" the repair could be made to appear.

Shouldn't affect the sound, fortunately.
It goes the entire length of the top. The top is in two pieces..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chordchunker View Post
It goes the entire length of the top. The top is in two pieces..
Yes, I can see that...but it's still fixable and may not be too expensive to do so.

Agree about the inadvisability of using a medium set...that's way too much tension. .046 - .010 is a much better range.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
Yes, I can see that...but it's still fixable and may not be too expensive to do so.

Agree about the inadvisability of using a medium set...that's way too much tension. .046 - .010 is a much better range.
A proper set of Gypsy Jazz strings are almost like fiddle strings. Can`t imagine what that repair would cost. Guess I`ll wait until my luthier friend comes back from his trip.

• Members

CC, I have no direct experience with Gyspy style guitars, but I have read a bit about them. As you say, they are lightly build with thinner than normal tops (I remember hearing 2mm - normal tops are more like 3). They are ladder braced and traditionally have a funky fold in the top (called something like "pliage") which is apparently rather difficult to build. This leads me to believe that, in spite of what others have told you, a repair may or may not be "simple". There are several people on the two lutherie forums that build this kind of guitar - unless your luthier has experience you might suggest that he/she post some pictures and measurement at either OLF or MIMF before just starting a graft.

Good luck and keep us posted

Archived