X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split top

Damn.. The top on my django guitar has a friggin` 1/8-1/16" wide split/crack all the way down the middle. Starts at bottom, goes THROUGH the rosette and ends at the fingerboard. So the entire top is basically in two pieces. Oh well. Guess I`ll play it until it comes apart.

It started as a hairline. I picked it up yesterday and noticed how far it had spread. I keep a sponge in the case but it didn`t help..

Pretty easy repair.
    Originally Posted by DToad:

Lets face it- today's GOP is all about the richest one percent exploiting the dumbest fifty percent.

Comment

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...spuce-top-fix-...

Comment

Repair? It sure looks like the top needs replaced. One of my bandmates is a luthier (ASL) but he is out of town.

Comment

You know you're suppose to wet the sponge.

Btw I used about six sponges in a contractor garbage bag to hydrate.

Comment

I`ve had probably 100 guitars at least over the years and it`s the first time a top has split..BUT I was sort of wandering how many posts it would be b before someone said something like that..

Comment

Comment

Oh damn, CC. That doesn't look good.......and it doesn't look like an easy repair, either.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br><br>Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 Yamaha<br><br>A fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox &quot;Big Ben&quot; wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.</font></div>

Comment

I`m not sure how it could be repaired, but I`m no luthier. It looks horrible. Bummer as I really liked this guitar. Guess I`ll start saving my pennies for a new gj box.

Comment

These guitars are straight braced and the top is somewhat arched.

Comment

A good luthier could inlay a piece of wood into that crack and it would be stabilized, but I've no idea how "invisble" the repair could be made to appear.

Shouldn't affect the sound, fortunately.
                      God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Sawdust and glue ...

Comment

The joint didn't fail but the wood itself split.I wonder what could have caused that?Lack of humidification?

Comment

I'd be really surprised if a luthier couldn't fix that. Humidity, glue, clamps, and cleats?

Comment

Sorry to hear about the guitar btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X