X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Sought

Dear Acoustic Abbys,

My best friend Tom is the main audience for my guitar playing. He's kinda quiet, doesn't say much but always seemed to enjoy it. Lately though, every time I strum a chord, he protests loudly and walks away. This sudden reversal has left me hurt and puzzled, wondering if I'm getting worse as I go along.I've tried to sound him out about it but he just changes the subject. Should I give up playing when he's around or continue to try to get him to open up?

Puzzled Picker
    "HAVE FUN, TRY NOT TO HURT ANYONE AND EAT PLENTY OF GREENS"

Perhaps a treat right before you play if it works it could lead to a Nobel Prize.

Poppy's dog ...
    "Plunk your Magic Twanger, Froggy". Andy Devine

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by EdBega
      View Post

Perhaps a treat right before you play if it works it could lead to a Nobel Prize.

Poppy's dog ...

Been done. See B.F. Skinner.
      “Conservatives aren't necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives” John Stuart Mill.

Comment

I've had that happen to me a few times. I pretty much suspect the culprit was Am. Never got that reaction from an open D, Em, or even a C.

Then again, a friend who gets upset at a Asus2 is to be expected, unless it is quickly followed by an Em. Many a friendship has been ruined by the indiscriminate choice of chords.

Paul

Comment

I was playing the opening tritone of Purple Haze, and these priests wanted to do an exorcism on me. Or something.
          “Conservatives aren't necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives” John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Dear Puzzled Picker,

Is Tom the Bloodhound or the Lab? Oh well, it doesn't really matter. My advice would be the same either way; "Let the sleeping dog lie".

signed.........Acoustic Abby
            Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

View Post

Poppy's dog ...

Tom has way too much integrity for that.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Opa John
                View Post

Dear Puzzled Picker,

Is Tom the Bloodhound or the Lab?

I fail to see how his ethnictiy enters into the problem.

Comment

Has he ever caught a rabbit?

Comment

He IS a friend of mine.

Comment

• Hudman
                      Hudman commented
                      Editing a comment

Hang a pork chop around your neck.:robotwink:

I see, you say he's cryin all the time though ...

Comment

Well, they said he was high class, but that was just a lie.
                      Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

Sounds like he's pretty messed up and Poppy ain't helping him ...

Comment

I think maybe his taste in music is evolving. He watches a lot of PBS.

Comment

View Post

Sounds like he's pretty messed up and Poppy ain't helping him ...

Yeah.......what's up with that.

Hey, Poppy........Don't be cruel!

Comment

Working...
                            X