Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid painters stole about 100 red spruce tops I had in storage............

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Opa John
    View Post

guitarcapo, right now you have nothing but an unrecorded telephone call to back up your story if you had to press charges on these clowns. You really need to call the police to come out asap and write up a police report on the incident. Just because you get the police involved doesn't mean you have to press charges, but if it comes down to that, at least you'd have the police report to back up your claim.

You'll more than likely get your wood back, but they could also ignore you for a few days then, if you press the issue they could say they have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Think about it, but I wouldn't think about it too long.

Well I talked to him this morning at 8:30. He says the worker will be returning the wood this afternoon to the site. I'll go by there tonight and if it's not there I'll call the police tomorrow morning. Part of the reason I'm giving him time was because of the holiday.

I should mention that my brother is also involved with contracting this painter and he stated to him also that the wood would be returned. My main fear is that the wood is fairly soft and cut to thickness. It's easily damaged and if this fellow treated it like the firewood he thinks it was, he could have broken or dented a lot of it easily.

You people are arguing for responses that seem to be more for a break-in where you don't know the people involved.

I know all the people involved. Their claiming they don't know anything won't really hold up when I have witnesses who have stated they took the wood and intend to return it. On top of that the foreman is owed money that he will not be paid if the wood isn't returned so he's going to be motivated to get those guys to return the wood.

On top of that I have a feeling that these guys might be illegal. They probably don't want the police knocking on their door.

One thing I'm kind of upset about is that the foreman/contractor gave us all the impression HE was going to do the painting. It looks like he just pocketed the money and hired illegal laborers to do the job. Issues such as whether he's licensed/bonded could also come up if he wants to go there. I'm figuring he'd rather yell at those guys to return that wood.
    "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo
      View Post

I doubt if they were planning on "moving" the wood as you panic people describe. I think they thought it was "nice wood" that no one wanted and helped themselves. Not defending them, just putting things in perspective that they didn't know the value of what they were taking to the right person.

The fingerboards were a different matter. They obviously didn't think they were worthless. I'm thinking these workers might be undocumented. At any rate I gave them a few days to get whatever wood I can back before calling the cops. They aren't going anywhere.

No, that's exactly what you're doing.

Hey, no skin off anyone's nose whether the material is returned or not, except yours. I know that I'd be madder than hell if someone was to lift something from my mother's house because they thought 'no one wanted it'.

****************. That.

I'd have John Law on that scumbag's tail within minutes. Friends and associates don't let their employees rip you off - that kind of action automatically negates the whole 'friends and associates' thingie, doesn't it?

From this post and your later one describing how you thought the contractor himself was going to do the work and not farm it out to day-labor, it seems like you're really unwilling to stand up for yourself, especially since they not only skimmed the wood but the fingerboards as well. You KNOW they ripped off your mother's house - why in hell are you giving them so many chances to make things 'right'? What kind of ****************ed-up lesson does that teach?

Jee...zus.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo
        View Post

I doubt if they were planning on "moving" the wood as you panic people describe. I think they thought it was "nice wood" that no one wanted and helped themselves. Not defending them, just putting things in perspective that they didn't know the value of what they were taking to the right person.

The fingerboards were a different matter. They obviously didn't think they were worthless. I'm thinking these workers might be undocumented. At any rate I gave them a few days to get whatever wood I can back before calling the cops. They aren't going anywhere.

No, that's exactly what you're doing.

Hey, no skin off anyone's nose whether the material is returned or not, except yours. I know that I'd be madder than hell if someone was to lift something from my mother's house because they thought 'no one wanted it'.

****************. That.

I'd have John Law on that scumbag's tail within minutes. Friends and associates don't let their employees rip you off - that kind of action automatically negates the whole 'friends and associates' thingie, doesn't it?

From this post and your later one describing how you thought the contractor himself was going to do the work and not farm it out to day-labor, it seems like you're really unwilling to stand up for yourself, especially since they not only skimmed the wood but the fingerboards as well. You KNOW they ripped off your mother's house - why in hell are you giving them so many chances to make things 'right'? What kind of ****************ed-up lesson does that teach?

Jee...zus.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Well, I kind of doubt that I would've worded a response quite as strongly as flemtone's, but his response is pretty much the same thing I'm thinking.

These guys are not your friends, guitarcapo; they're thieves and you're being way too lenient on them. If something like this had happened to me, you can bet I would've raked their thieving asses over the coals long before now.......holiday or no holiday.

But, it's your business, nobody else's, so handle it however you see fit. I just hope your wood is returned undamaged. However, since it's been bouncing around in the back of someone's work truck for a few days, I can't imagine it's in better shape now. Have you ever seen how nasty the inside of your average work truck can look? And, if they truly thought this wood was firewood, you can bet they didn't stack it up neatly. They just dumped it in, in a big pile.

Wishing you all the best on this.
          Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

Well, I kind of doubt that I would've worded a response quite as strongly as flemtone's, but his response is pretty much the same thing I'm thinking.

These guys are not your friends, guitarcapo; they're thieves and you're being way too lenient on them. If something like this had happened to me, you can bet I would've raked their thieving asses over the coals long before now.......holiday or no holiday.

But, it's your business, nobody else's, so handle it however you see fit. I just hope your wood is returned undamaged. However, since it's been bouncing around in the back of someone's work truck for a few days, I can't imagine it's in better shape now. Have you ever seen how nasty the inside of your average work truck can look? And, if they truly thought this wood was firewood, you can bet they didn't stack it up neatly. They just dumped it in, in a big pile.

Wishing you all the best on this.
            Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

I don`t know the entire picture and am not in your shoes so I won`t tell you what to do. The contractor may be family as far as I know. As a former contractor (masonry) myself I would hate to be in his shoes, but I always hired guys I knew for years so that kind of **************** didn`t happen. If I WAS however in his shoes I would make it right asap either by bringing the tops back immediately, or knocking a big chunk off of your bill.

Comment

I don`t know the entire picture and am not in your shoes so I won`t tell you what to do. The contractor may be family as far as I know. As a former contractor (masonry) myself I would hate to be in his shoes, but I always hired guys I knew for years so that kind of **************** didn`t happen. If I WAS however in his shoes I would make it right asap either by bringing the tops back immediately, or knocking a big chunk off of your bill.

Comment

My brother is also just saying to wait until this afternoon to get the wood back. Calling the cops isn't going to get my wood back faster. I'll deal with the police tomorrow if I have to.
                  "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

My brother is also just saying to wait until this afternoon to get the wood back. Calling the cops isn't going to get my wood back faster. I'll deal with the police tomorrow if I have to.

Comment

The contractor isn't family. Just a recommendation from a friend.

Comment

The contractor isn't family. Just a recommendation from a friend.

Comment

Its hard to picture this being an innocent "Oh I thought it was scrap" plus with the inlaid boards they had to know it was raw material for guitars. Were the tops just piled up or stacked with spacers. Man I hope you get this wood back. What a shame.

Comment

Its hard to picture this being an innocent "Oh I thought it was scrap" plus with the inlaid boards they had to know it was raw material for guitars. Were the tops just piled up or stacked with spacers. Man I hope you get this wood back. What a shame.

Comment

Um as someone who has done all sorts of construction work its not normal to take anything because "no one wanted it". Now if they asked or something i could see it, but to just take it? Id start looking around for other stuff that "you didnt want" that they grabbed as well.

I think you are vastly underreacting here.
                              www.lastchanceisrock.com

Brand new cd ...And Then It Rains now available
                              here>>> http://cdbaby.com/cd/lastchance2

And also on iTunes and Napster

Rogue Analog Delay $25 shipped

Good traders: KLeeneX, Solcat, DARKMETL/,Procreatur,TheAmazingBlob,SnoMan97,Steve the Hero, NITROHOLIC, jrcorp,madryan,iblastoff,Doctor Morbius,teletaylor

Bad trader ontariomaximus(Randy Fay of Phaez Amps)

Comment

Um as someone who has done all sorts of construction work its not normal to take anything because "no one wanted it". Now if they asked or something i could see it, but to just take it? Id start looking around for other stuff that "you didnt want" that they grabbed as well.

I think you are vastly underreacting here.
                                www.lastchanceisrock.com

Brand new cd ...And Then It Rains now available
                                here>>> http://cdbaby.com/cd/lastchance2

And also on iTunes and Napster

Rogue Analog Delay $25 shipped

Good traders: KLeeneX, Solcat, DARKMETL/,Procreatur,TheAmazingBlob,SnoMan97,Steve the Hero, NITROHOLIC, jrcorp,madryan,iblastoff,Doctor Morbius,teletaylor

Bad trader ontariomaximus(Randy Fay of Phaez Amps)

Comment

Working...
                                X