Looking for ways to blow my tax refund - solid acoustic/electric ideas :)

racoustic

• Members

Fellas!

Tax refund is coming :catvery-happy: and I am already thinking of how to spend the cash!

I have actually been thinking about buying (or upgrading) a new Acou/Elec guitar for a few months now so the tax refund is a great excuse. I am looking for recommendations and also if you are looking to sell, feel free to PM me.

What I play currently?

I play an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ 500 RNS - this is a great guitar (especially for its price) and I had B-Band pickup setup on it. Some part of me doesn't want to let go of this baby (even if I upgrade to a nicer all solid wood)

What am I looking for?

Under 2000 USD

Acoustic/Electric Dreadnaught, Jumbo or GA sizes

Cutaway preferred

I am more of a strumming /rhythm guy so looking for sitka spruce top and mahogony or rosewood body.

I have tried a few taylors and martins and the only martin that caught my eye was the HD28V (was $3000 new though). I guess  like Taylors more (I liked 414ce) but open to 7 or 8 series used. I initially thought I would love me a gibson but the few ones I have tried in store (songwriter studio) didn't really feel any vibe.

So right now it's 414 new (about 1400) or 7 / 8 series used Taylor or a HD28V used if I can find one.

Any other suggestions? Should I even upgrade to these given I have a pretty sweet and working epi :)

Thanks allepi 1.JPGepi 1.JPG

• Members

Well first of all, as a fellow Masterbilt player, don't sell your Masterbilt! Slowly but surely they've taken Masterbilt models out of regular production and it breaks my heart. So hang on to that little sucker because they're special and getting harder to find.

The Taylor 14 and the Martin D are completely different body shapes, the 14 obviously being smaller. General wisdom is that this shape lends itself better to fingerpicking and such, but conventional wisdom is not the be-all, end-all. If it were me, I'd hold out for the Martin just because I love the sound of a big classic guitar, but if you're really into the feel of Taylors, you should get a Taylor. They're unique guitars and people like them for a reason. Just happens not to be my cup of tea.

I'm rereading this and feeling like it isn't terribly helpful haha. Sorry! Let me know if you're selling your Epiphone! :smileyvery-happy:

• Members
  • Members

As others have said, take your time. My new rule is that I have to play a guitar on at least three different occasions. If you are more inclined towards something Taylor-ish, you might check out the Yamaha A series. All under $1k, couple of body shapes (dread & concert), cutaway, nice electronics. All of them are solid Sitka on top, b/s options are mahogany & rosewood, both solid & lam. As an A3M owner, I am admittedly biased. I did a fair amount of A/Bing against a Taylor 314ce, and couldn't tell much difference, certainly not enough to merit the price gap.

Archived