Yamaha FG335, how old is it?

Zombie1

• Members

I am trying to find some info on a yamaha FG335 I recently purchased from a friend who was in a pinch,I do not know allot about accustic guitars and would appreciate any info on determining the year and approximate value of this guitar. I was told and do believe the guitar was built in the late 70's or early 80's it was my friends dads guitar and I remember it from LONG ago. I am not really interested in selling it right now but any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks a bunch Zombie1( no, not like Rob ,like the dead guys)but I do like Rob THANKS AGAIN

• Members

I have one, too... a '77 FG-335. I bought it new in 1978.

Contrary to a previous post, the FG-335 is not a solid top, it's laminated. The back and sides are laminated rosewood, but a few were made of mahogany. Also, these were made in Taiwan, not Japan. The value of the guitar isn't very much, maybe $250, tops, if it's near perfect.

On the upside, though, the FG-335's from that era sound as smooth and warm as any Martin built around that same time. They have an incredibly sweet, mellow tone and, as one previous post said... they're "built like a tank." Laminated guitars tend to be a bit sturdier and less prone to go out of whack because of temperature changes.

The bottom line is, it's not a collector, but it's a sweet guitar that will last forever.

It's a keeper! :)

• Members

Thanks guys,I appreciate the information on the FH335, I'm planning on hanging on to it but was curious as to the age and value (did'nt want to be beatin around a collectors item )not that I'm gonna beat it up. but you know what I mean.All of my friends that play love the sound, and with a little cleaning and some new strings I believe it will be a sweet little guitar. Now all I need to do is learn to play a six string.(ha-ha)Played bass for afew years so that has given me a basic starting point.At any rate,(33 1/2% ok?)THANKS guys .:D Sincerly; Zombie 1

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I apologize for bumping an old thread but searched the FG335 and came up here. I just had mine re-tooled, restrung. My teenaged daughter decided she wanted to play so I dug mine old Yamaha out of the closet where it's been for probably 15 years so I could teach her. The guy at Grandmas Music told me it was in excellent condition, built like a tank, but needed some work, which he did for about $100.

I bought it in 1977 ... and I'll tell ya, with the saddle recut, the neck reset and the strings replaced it sounds as good as it did the day I bought it. I don't care that it's not worth much, it's still a beautiful instrument.

• Members

I apologize for bumping an old thread but searched the FG335 and came up here. I just had mine re-tooled, restrung. My teenaged daughter decided she wanted to play so I dug mine old Yamaha out of the closet where it's been for probably 15 years so I could teach her. The guy at Grandmas Music told me it was in excellent condition, built like a tank, but needed some work, which he did for about $100.

I bought it in 1977 ... and I'll tell ya, with the saddle recut, the neck reset and the strings replaced it sounds as good as it did the day I bought it. I don't care that it's not worth much, it's still a beautiful instrument.

You had a Yamaha neck reset for $100?!! Where does the line form?

• Members

You had a Yamaha neck reset for $100?!! Where does the line form?

Not just the neck reset, he did something to line it up with the saddle, lowered it or something then cut the grooves for the strings a little deeper to align everything. THEN he restrung it with new strings for me. The guy's name is Larry here in NM at a place called Grandmas (I'd link it but I'm not sure of the rules of this forum, so google it if you're interested, they can be found.)

Honestly I was pretty blown away when he called with the estimate. I told him "Definitely, go ahead and do it!" and he said "Oh good I'm glad you said that because I already did it." LOL

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I have to add to this lingering thread.

I have been playing my 335 over the years. Tonight I had a resurgent love arise and decided to see what the internets have to say about the lady. That brought me here to see you all commenting. Now I'm a member.

I bought mine in 1981 in Huntington Long Island with money my then girlfriend lent me. Maybe $150. At the time I didn't get why the Martin next to it cost so much more. I took it home and started to learn how to play the guitar.

It's always sounded good to me. Tonight I had it capoed up and hung out on the 1st 4 strings, impersonating a uke.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

My dad lets me use his...one of the warmest,most balanced sounding acoustics I've ever played! Especially since he told me me it was standing up on a bar and fell off! Despite that, its always,always in tune. By far my favorite guitar

Welcome to our happy, if somewhat dysfunctional, family, gents... :wave:

The FG335 is a decent little guitar for the $$$...used, they're a fantastic value, as a rule.

And they're hard to break! (I've got the FG160, which is kind of the 335's predecessor, and it's survived many camping trips and drunk friends! :lol: )

• Like 1