Recommend some strings?

The EAKLE

• Members

My guitar is in desperate need of new strings. Usually I go with Light Martins, but I've actually got a chance to go to a larger music store this weekend, so I was hoping you guys could give a few suggestions.

It's an Ibanez AF75 Art core Hollow body. I play a lot of acoustic, but some electric too. I use it for recording acoustic and electric parts. Any recommendations?

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

80/20 brass or phosphor/bronze might suit you, but the electric response of that guitar will suffer.T
he electrics of that guitar depend on the magnetic characteristics of the strings, so nickel or steel wound strings are better for that.

FF is right. That is an electric guitar not an electro-acoustic. So it has magnetic pick-ups that only repond to ferrous metal. If you use bronze wound strings the pups will only detect the steel core wires of the wound strings and you will probably have an unbalanced sound. Much better to use nickel-steel wound strings - the whole string will then effect the pups.

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

When you say electric, what kind of pickup?

DR Zebras are a hybrid, but they look a bit strange.

I run Elixir PB nano - 12 to 56 on my jumbo,

DR sunbeam or Pyramids 12 to 53 on my dreadnought

It's got the stock AF75 pickups. I've never been much of an electric guitar player, so i never bothered to research better ones to replace the stock ones, which have always worked fine for me.

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

When you say electric, what kind of pickup?

DR Zebras are a hybrid, but they look a bit strange.

I run Elixir PB nano - 12 to 56 on my jumbo,

DR sunbeam or Pyramids 12 to 53 on my dreadnought

E$xcellent idea...GHS "White Bronze" are another hybrid option worth considering.

Archived