Yamaha FG 340

mrmagoolew

• Members

Provided that the neck doesn't need resetting and that the top is flat and the bridge isn't lifting and the truss rod works, then you did not only good, you did very well indeed. I am the very happy owner of one of these wonderful all-laminate guitars. They are capable of producing a tone that is beyond what laminates are supposed to be capable of. You will be very happy.

If you care to, follow the link below to my music -all of the songs were recorded on a Yamaha FG-340.

Put a bone saddle and brass bridge pins in her. I recommend Martin SP Phosphor-Bronze strings as well.

Post Pictures please.

• Members

Yea, I kinda bought this guitar on the spur of the moment. I liked the 3 piece back on it. I don't know what a bone saddle is or anything else, but I'll look into it. There is a guitar shop about 4 miles from where I live, and I'm sure they can help me. I was looking at some new guitars there, but I couldn't bite off that $800+ price tag. Especially me being a beginner. Lew

• Members

You are a beginner? Well, you did good, grasshopper. Provided it is in good shape, this guitar could last you a lifetime. And the tone and playability will likely be as good as some of those $800.00 guitars you saw.

Here are the specs from Yamaha's website:

Year(s) Sold: 1977-81

Original MSRP(US$): $214.00

Top: Spruce

Back / Sides: Mahogany

Neck: Nato

Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

Notes: 3 Piece Back

Go here: http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Catalog/Catalog_XSKXXX/0,6370,CTID%25253D220900%252526VNM%25253DLIVE%252526AFLG%25253DY,00.html

and click on the Serial number wizard. Find the serial number which is just under the top edge of the sound hole and plug it into the wizard and it will tell you the year, month and day it was made.

The saddle is that long white thing that sits on the bridge and which the strings lie on after they come out of the holes in the bridge. The saddle transmits the vibrations from the strings into the bridge and has a significant impact on the tone. A bone saddle should give you improved tone over the plastic saddle you have in there now (assuming it is stock and the previous owner hasn't already swapped it out.) Do take it to a competent guitar tech to have it checked out and set up. And please do report back.

• Members
Welcome to HCAG Lew, pull up a chair with git in hand. :wave: Baba has given you excellent advice, a good setup, a bone saddle, and fresh strings will do wonders for your FG340. A lot of HCAG are Yammie fans especially the "vintage" FG series, including me-self. So, ya did good and if you can, post a pic or two. See ya around.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I have a Yamaha fg-340 also......worth fixing.......George Harrison played one while on vacation in Goa , India in 1984.....He gave it to one of the locals before he left.......That guitar showed up at Christie's auction in London in April 2010 and sold for 60,000 lb I'm proud to own the same model.....plays and looks awesome!

Archived