New frets or new guitar?

brinky

• Members

Hi,

Allthough it's my own choice at the end. Your advice would be welcome. I own a 15 year old Norman ST68 equipped with a shadow p4 pickup. Last day I went to the guitar store for a maintenance job. They told me the guitar needs new frets. Max 300 euro's in costs.

After playing with some new Cort guitars, I'm convinced that the Norman needs maintenance. So the choice is or buy a new one (budget around 700 euro's) or put some new life in my Norman. 

ps the Norman has no cut a way. I would seek that in a new one.

• Members

brinky wrote:

Hi,

Allthough it's my own choice at the end. Your advice would be welcome. I own a 15 year old Norman ST68 equipped with a shadow p4 pickup. Last day I went to the guitar store for a maintenance job. They told me the guitar needs new frets. Max 300 euro's in costs.

After playing with some new Cort guitars, I'm convinced that the Norman needs maintenance. So the choice is or buy a new one (budget around 700 euro's) or put some new life in my Norman. 

ps the Norman has no cut a way. I would seek that in a new one.

Without seeing the guitar it is almost impossible for me to advise you - however I think the prices quoted by your shop are high.   One of the best Martin setup guys in the US, Bryan Kimsey, charges the following for fretwork - $15 per fret to replace (about 11 euros), $215 for the first 15 frets (165) and $250 for all of them (192).   Most of the time it is only the first five or so that need replacement - the rest can be leveled and crowned (which needs to be done to the new ones anyway)

However if the guitar is ready for frets it is probably ready for some other work which may in fact bring the price up to what they are quoting.   I would get the full estimate before commissioning any work.   Normally if they have to refret they will replace the nut and saddle (which might affect your pup).   

Only you can decide if it is worth putting money into an older guitar that you know or starting with something new.   Possibly have just enough work done to the Norman to keep it playable as a backup or for altered tunings and buy the new one to get the features you want.

• Members

brinky wrote:

Thanks I'll do that. First get a second opinion from another doctor before I let Norman rest in peace.

Second opinion is a good move.

I'll soon be in a similar boat to you. My beloved acoustic is nearly in need of a refret. I love the guitar, so I'll probably refret it, but the refret will likely cost more than it's worth in its road-worn state.

But anyway, I agree with knock. Try to get a better price on the refret and then save up for a new acoustic (with a cutaway!) eventually.

Archived