D35 Pics

carguy

• Members

As promised, here are a couple of pics of my new D35. It's a good thing that I am an outstanding musician, because I sure ain't a good photographer. I think what I need to do is just invite everybody over to my place to see it in person.

DSCN2216.JPG

DSCN2217.JPG

DSCN2218.JPG

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

Nice! Promise you'll never put light strings on it.

I found out the hard way that putting light strings on acoustic guitars isn't a good idea. This Martin came with 12s and the dealer gave me a new set of 12s with the guitar, Martin PBs, and the pack is marked "light". I don't plan to put anything "lighter" than that on her.

• Members

Congratulations and belated HNGD? Is that guitar NOS or mint? Either I way I envy you. I've wanted a HD-35 for a long time, but as I said elsewhere I'm getting over it. ;o)

As for the string choice, 12s are lights. Try 13s but given that the 35s have 1/4" bracing I'd tune down a 1/2 step and enjoy the lighter tension and added bass. Just my opinion but I'd look for a Greven pickguard too.

• Members

kwakatak wrote:

Congratulations and belated HNGD? Is that guitar NOS or mint? Either I way I envy you. I've wanted a HD-35 for a long time, but as I said elsewhere I'm getting over it. ;o)

As for the string choice, 12s are lights. Try 13s but given that the 35s have 1/4" bracing I'd tune down a 1/2 step and enjoy the lighter tension and added bass. Just my opinion but I'd look for a Greven pickguard too.

Thanks. I found out that the guitar is a 2011 when I completed the on line warranty . (BTW, I got a nice letter, a decal, and a wallet owner's card from CF Martin a few days later.) The sales guy said to me that he could offer such a great price to me because they got a great price from the factory - which is less than a hundred miles from my place and also the guitar shop. I don't know if it was factory 2nd or what; if it is, I certainly can't find the defect. I think I read somewhere that Martin doesn't offer 2nds for sale. Maybe he meant that they saved shipping costs, I'm not sure.

I have to say I prefer acoustic light acoustic strings because of switiching back and forth from electric guitars, but I wouldn't want to put anything less than 12s on it. I might try 13s next time.

Archived