I Personally Prefer HCAG Forum .. What About You Guys / Gals ..

coogar

• Members

Well just thought id let the HCAG Forum know what some posters think of HCAG Forum over at MelodyVine

Personally i reckon theyre stuck up over at M / Vine and so thought id allow the true HC Members know

as to how 2 - faced some can be over at MelodyVine forum in the link below ..

http://village.melodyvine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=221

• Members

Coogar, I am trying very hard to like the new HCAG but having a very hard time.   To put things in perspective, I've been a long time contributor to HCAG, mostly about things lutherie, and had something over 12K of posts.   I had several stickies for quite a while with tips on setups, did the reviews of strings and pins that helped at least a few people determine what direction they wanted to go with their guitars.   I'm a pretty mediocre player but I've posted clips on many of the VOM's.  I've also posted a dozen or so build and repair threads.

Like some others, I've watched HCAG deteriorate into some unpleasant name calling on many subjects that are completely off topic.   I've watched good people come and go, along with the trolls and people who seem to have no interest in guitars at all.

The new HCAG v3 fixed some serious access problems, but the sysop seems unable to correct my old username and sign on, so I've had to start over.   It seems like right now most of the threads are what we foundly call zombies - active back in 2008 or 2010 and suddenly a new reply (usually by someone with three posts to their credit).  

I don't want to abandon HCAG, but I'm in the process of signing up over at MelodyVine - I know and repect many of the folks there, I hope it will be moderated enough to stay on topic and kill the trolls, and I'm looking forward to the VOM's again.

We'll see what happens here....

• Members

Freeman_Keller wrote:

Coogar, I am trying very hard to like the new HCAG but having a very hard time.   To put things in perspective, I've been a long time contributor to HCAG, mostly about things lutherie, and had something over 12K of posts.   I had several stickies for quite a while with tips on setups, did the reviews of strings and pins that helped at least a few people determine what direction they wanted to go with their guitars.   I'm a pretty mediocre player but I've posted clips on many of the VOM's.  I've also posted a dozen or so build and repair threads.

Like some others, I've watched HCAG deteriorate into some unpleasant name calling on many subjects that are completely off topic.   I've watched good people come and go, along with the trolls and people who seem to have no interest in guitars at all.

The new HCAG v3 fixed some serious access problems, but the sysop seems unable to correct my old username and sign on, so I've had to start over.   It seems like right now most of the threads are what we foundly call zombies - active back in 2008 or 2010 and suddenly a new reply (usually by someone with three posts to their credit).  

I don't want to abandon HCAG, but I'm in the process of signing up over at MelodyVine - I know and repect many of the folks there, I hope it will be moderated enough to stay on topic and kill the trolls, and I'm looking forward to the VOM's again.

We'll see what happens here....

All this coming from a guy with 30 posts!   Noob! :smileyvery-happy:

• Members

This place is like an old pair of shoes to me.  There have been times when I was so pissed off I swore I'd never come back here, but the very next morning I was back.  There's a feeling here that I can't describe.  This place is REAL!  You can find people talking about all kinds of things here, not just guitars.  Guitar players talk about other things too.

But it's a place to come and have a laugh, maybe blow off a little steam, and certainly learn something about something.

I'm registered at the Vine too, and I probably will be spending time in both places.  Both places have their good points and their bad, but what the hell.

• Members

I never used the site before the update, i only lurked a little bit when google searches took me to threads here, but i don't get why people are so upset over the layout. I've been on a lot of different sites, and honestly i think this is one of the most organized. I prefer it over any VB powered sites.

• Members

HCAG really is different from what it was. Maybe it's only apparent to people who've been here a long time. It looks and works very differently--in my view, aesthetically very "cold", and the micro-avatars really de-personalize it. Much too logocentric now. As for the OP's "two-faced" comment--that's way off the mark. Nobody over there is pretending to be happy about the state of HCAG. The criticisms have been leveled on both forums.

I'll probably stay at least semi-active in both places, mainly because many of the people at MV are old regulars from here and I miss them. I'm hoping HCAG makes some changes. Full-sized avatars would be a significant first step.

• Members

I love those {censored}ers. But sadly, like you, dear Coog, the Viners sent me to banned camp. For why, were we banished, misfortunatly, I do not know. Nevertheless, I'm happy they have their place. For us the diaspora may be only beginning.

• Members

You got banned @MV? Really? Well, I can't say I am surprised. The members there seem a little clique-ish, and I expect whatever rules are employed are employed selectively, as is the case within all cliques. I just don't see how FF made it in their front door, lol.

As for this place, I dunno. I think this format is a huge blunder, the only thing I like about it is the ability to post a pic without linking it to another site. Otherwise, it is hard on my eyes, and just plain annoying.

Archived