Takamine New Yorker parlor guitar

mymartind35

• Members

Saturday I bought a Takamine New Yorker Vintage Sunburst.  It has a solid-spruce top and rosewood HPL sides.  It has a 3-piece HPL rosewood with a center burled maple piece.  It also has wood binding.  This is one great little guitar.  The back and sides don't have as much to do with the tone as the top and the top of this little one has scalloped bracing.  Usually found on guitars at the higher-end.  If anyone else has one tell me what you think.  This is a lot of fun to play fingerstyle. 

• Members

mymartind35 wrote:

. . . It has a solid-spruce top and rosewood HPL sides.  It has a 3-piece HPL rosewood with a center burled maple piece.  It also has wood binding.  This is one great little guitar. . . . the top of this little one has scalloped bracing.  Usually found on guitars at the higher-end. . . . 

First, Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. Second, the back and sides are definitely not HPL. HPL is a product Martin uses on their lower-end gutiars and it's essentially Formica, layers of paper in a resin binder. From what I can find out, yours has a solid rosewood back with a center strip of quilted maple, which appears to be laminated. The sides are laminated rosewood. As for scalloped bracing being found on higher-end guitars, it depends on what the maker is trying to achieve. For example, IIRC, the standard Martin D28 doesn't have scalloped bracing (the HD28 does) but I wouldn't call it a low-end guitar.

Archived