Music's beneficial role in our lives

rainrainwash3

• Members

I love the fact that there is an endless supply of it, how it exercises both the mind and the whole body.  There seems to be no limits to the combinations of notes.  It's a language which speaks to every race, religion, and belief.

I firmly believe that music should be required education for every young student.  In my eyes there is no excuse for a school whether public or private to dismiss music's beneficial role in any setting.  It should be a required subject for all majors in college.  It teaches not only self discipline, but strength of character, increased perception and intellect, coordination, dexterity, and greater confidence in other areas of life.

We should be putting musical instruments in our youths hands, not guns!

• Members

The problem isn't necessarily getting school to implement music programs, but getting kids to be interested in them. I went to a private school from pre-school-8th grade. Whe had required choral classes, art classes that touched on music, and the school provided extra-curricular piano lessons. Two kids from the class went on to band/choir in highschool.

To me, it's more sad that kids don't take an interest in music. Even if you force it on them through school, they won't automatically enjoy it, and from a musician's perspective that can be hard to grasp.

• Members

rainrainwash3 wrote:

I love the fact that there is an endless supply of it, how it exercises both the mind and the whole body.  There seems to be no limits to the combinations of notes.  It's a language which speaks to every race, religion, and belief.

I firmly believe that music should be required education for every young student.  In my eyes there is no excuse for a school whether public or private to dismiss music's beneficial role in any setting.  It should be a required subject for all majors in college.  It teaches not only self discipline, but strength of character, increased perception and intellect, coordination, dexterity, and greater confidence in other areas of life.

We should be putting musical instruments in our youths hands, not guns!

Absolute agreement!

The EAKLE wrote:

The problem isn't necessarily getting school to implement music programs, but getting kids to be interested in them. I went to a private school from pre-school-8th grade. Whe had required choral classes, art classes that touched on music, and the school provided extra-curricular piano lessons. Two kids from the class went on to band/choir in highschool.

To me, it's more sad that kids don't take an interest in music. Even if you force it on them through school, they won't automatically enjoy it, and from a musician's perspective that can be hard to grasp.

I suspect a lot of that is how it's presented to a young child...one day, when I was in 1st grade, our teacher announced "Kiddos, I've got a special surprise for you!" and in came 3 guys, one with a mandolin, one with an acoustic guitar and one with a 'cello, and they sat down and started paying songs for us...it was VERY cool.

Afterwards, they each took turns explaining about their instruments and the folk songs they'd just played, and let anyone interested come up and gently strum one instrument or the other, while they held chords.

By the time they were through w/ their presentation, every kid in that class room wanted an instrument of their own, and quite likely more than a few went on to get seriously obsessed with music...I certainly did!

• Members

The EAKLE wrote:

Yeah, most people aren't interested in playing music. One year when I was in elementary school, we had to learn how to play the recorder and I remember most kids in my class hating it. When Guitar Hero came out, all my friends were really into it, but none actually wanted to learn how to play a real guitar; one tried and he hated it, the rest were just uninterested. I'm also known people who constantly talked about their love of music, but found the thought of learning how to play anything ridiculous. It's kind of strange (and sad), but most people don't care about music, or playing it, that much.

Archived