Anyone ever dealt with the Martin Factory?

BennyandtheJets

• Members

I'm looking to get my D-35 repaired to factory specs. I know I could probably get it done locally but I dont trust any of my local luthiers. Actually I've never dealt with them, but I would rather just get the Martin Plant to do it so i know the quality will be top notch. I bought the guitar used 6-8 months ago. It's a 1983 D-35 150th Anniversary model. I've noticed that there are a couple cracks in the top and i want to get them fixed before anything bad happens. Also i Think someone tried to refinish the guitar, It looks terrible.Martin D-35

• Members

Well, I've never had any factory work done, but I'm sure if you do it it'll come back looking like a brand new guitar. Just don't expect it to get done quickly. I've heard stories of up to 6 or 7 months turn-around time. I expect Sangemon might chime in here shortly. He's had some extensive work done a time or two, so he'll have some good information for ya. Good luck with it.......I'd love to find an older D-35 at the right price.

• Members

BennyandtheJets wrote:

I'm looking to get my D-35 repaired to factory specs. I know I could probably get it done locally but I dont trust any of my local luthiers. Actually I've never dealt with them, but I would rather just get the Martin Plant to do it so i know the quality will be top notch. I bought the guitar used 6-8 months ago. It's a 1983 D-35 150th Anniversary model. I've noticed that there are a couple cracks in the top and i want to get them fixed before anything bad happens. Also i Think someone tried to refinish the guitar, It looks terrible.
Martin D-35

If you live close to Nazareth you can take your guitar to the factory and discuss the problems with the repair department directly. If not you can ship the guitar to them for an evaluation and a quote for the repair.

I had a key crack in my HD-35 repaired at the factory, and they did lot of work including a neck reset and refret on my 1968 D12-35. It was not cheap, but it was resonable, and they do excellent work. It will be a long wait, typically several months, particulary if it involves refinishing.

Call Martin Customer Service. http://www.martinguitar.com/guitar-care/customer-service.html

• Members

I took my D-35 in there last year for some pretty extensive sunburst finish repairs.  when I picked it up it was flawless and maybe even better then new!  The turnaround time was about 9 weeks.

My experience with Paula & everyone else in the service department was gold star!

I drove it there myself. No shipping :)

• Members

You can expect first-class work from the Martin factory. You can also expect it to be expensive. Often, CFM will suggest that you take it to an authorized Martin repair person. There may be one close to you. They do Martin's warranty work and you can expect them to generally do good work. Whatever you do, make sure you itemize everything you want done, and be specific.

• Members

I looked at the directions to the factory and I didn't realize how close I was. It's only about a 6 hour drive. but I would have to go into another country. :( sadface....... what do you think fxing top cracks, neck reset and a refinish would cost? im thinking 7-800. To me the guitar would be worth it. I love this guitar.

• Members

I had a top crack fixed on a D28 many years ago and as everyone has already said, they will do great work but it won't necessarily be cheap (unless it's warranty) and it won't necessarily be fast.

My concern (if it was my '83 D35) would be getting an estimate before sending it in. Actual cracks in the wood (vs finish checking) and total refinishing can be pretty costly. If you got a great deal on the guitar to begin with, it may be well worth it.  I am pretty sure they would give you an estimate if you took good pictures of the areas of concern and emailed the pictures to Martin. They are a good company to deal with.

• Members

I could have had mine repaired locally for around $350, but I chose to take it home because I wanted it perfect without excuse. (5 hr drive each way)

Martin quoted me up to $900 to refinish it (GULP!)  But the actual cost in the end was just under $600.

No regrets. Hell, it's only $ :)

• Members

Yeah I got an amazing deal on it actually. Paid $325 last year from a pawn shop. So any $ amount under $1000 would not bother me too much, seeing as I got the guitar a such a steal. I can tell that they are more than just finish cracks. there are 3 that i can feel on it. One of them looks like it was repaired but the other two look like they haven't. they are just under the top of the pickgaurd near the bridge. and the other one is just near the bottom of the bridge. If i could figure out a way to post pictures of the guitar i will but I can't figure out the new HC yet haha

• Members

BennyandtheJets wrote:

I looked at the directions to the factory and I didn't realize how close I was. It's only about a 6 hour drive. but I would have to go into another country.
:(
sadface....... what do you think fxing top cracks, neck reset and a refinish would cost? im thinking 7-800. To me the guitar would be worth it. I love this guitar.

A couple of years ago I had a very good authorized Martin repair person (not the factory) reset the neck on my 1980 D12-28, reglue the bridge, level and crown 7 frets - total cost $600.   I also had the same person reset the neck on my 1974 D-18, replace 5 frets, fix a p/g and key crack, replace the pickguard and tuners - total cost $750.   Neither guitar required refinishing - that could be very expensive depending on how much damage was done with the current refin.

Also, even tho your are close to Naz, don't plan to just pop in and drop your guitar off

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/144564/New-Policy-begun-January-2013-Factory-Walks-guitar

Archived