Just got back from an acoustic guitar shop...

billybilly

• Members

Hi, I originally posted this in the electric forum but it's better placed here.

I'm getting back into acoustic and recently, purchased a seagull sws series guitar and while its good, I can't bond with the neck so this time, I went to the shop and tried every guitar out up to $3000.  Taylors, Martins, Gibsons, Tanglewood, Matons, imports such as Ibanez, Takamine etc...

The winner, a Cole Clark made of solid blackwood body and bunya top.  Second was the Cole Clark made of solid blackwood body and spruce top.  I've always overlooked them as they are made here.  I know, that seems silly but you get that.  Regardless, if you every have the chance to try a Cole Clark acoustic out, give them a whirl.  Looks like I'll be getting one once I sell a couple of axes.  It'll cost me about $1500 but once you have strummed on, you are ruined for others.

• Members

Since most of us aren't very familiar with them your mission is to post some clips and pics before you get your goat.   Blackwood is a fairly common tonewood in Australia - as I recall it has similar characteristics to koa, but I'm not at all familiar with bunya - can you characterize its tone relative the the spruce that you heard on the others?   Also, Maton is another Australian builder (and Tommy E's guitar of choice) - how did it compare with the CC?

• Members

Freeman_Keller wrote:

Since most of us aren't very familiar with them your mission is to post some clips and pics before you get your goat.   Blackwood is a fairly common tonewood in Australia - as I recall it has similar characteristics to koa, but I'm not at all familiar with bunya - can you characterize its tone relative the the spruce that you heard on the others?   Also, Maton is another Australian builder (and Tommy E's guitar of choice) - how did it compare with the CC?

The bloke who founded Cole Clark used to work for Maton and being Australian, they are similar in the woods they use.  From my experience, Cole Clarks's have more presence than a maton with maton's getting the nod for cutting through better.  Cole Clarks are full sounding, bunya has more midrange than spuce, equal bass and perhaps a little treble rolled off.  For live performing, one might prefer the Maton, for my ears, I prefer the Cole Clark as I like an even frequency and full bodied tone.

You are correct about blackwood, its a relative of koa and not too dissimlar to mahogany.  If it all works out, I'll be posting what I can.

Cheers,

Billy

Archived