Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola oil on a rosewood fretboard?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pure canola oil doesnt go rancid. i put some on a small piece of wenge about 2 years ago as a test and its fine in that regard. the real issue would be that it never dries, so it will be sticky and attract dust and other things.

I can well imagine what a canola-oiled fretboard would feel like in a couple of years. Yuk.
    Two years in remission - Yay! Damn, it's good to be alive!!

Comment

Not trying to be disrespectful, but did anyone else laugh out loud when they read Post #6?

lol...did a bit of a mental facepalm, but like Samilyn, I didn't really want to mention it.

I use lemon oil on my fretboards every once in a while. I've heard that turpentine and naphtha are both good ways to clean a fretboard, but I've never come across any dirty fretboards...
      Guitars: Seagull S6+CW, Epiphone LP Standard, Ovation CU247, Gretsch G5120, Seagull S12 (w/ JJB Prestige 330), Martin GPCPA3 Mandolins: Mid-Missouri M-2, WWII-era Octave MandolinAmps: Fender Princeton Chorus, Marshall AVT50H/AVT412, Crate VC120HEffects: EBow > AKG Wireless > Boss TU-2 > Boss PH-3 > EHX Doctor Q > Dunlop 535 Wah > Boss OS-2 > Boss EQ-20 > Boss CH-1 > Boss NS-2 > Boss RV-3
      LHGCC Participant ~ Jimmy Caper

Comment

pure canola oil doesnt go rancid.

So sorry to disagree...

Any triglyceride can go rancid, and canola is quite prone to rancidity.
        Google <<canola rancid>> and read up. oke:

Also, even if your statement were true, it would not be applicable. As soon as you apply the oil to a fingerboard, it would be the equivalent of stirring canola with a dirty piece of wood and mixing in dead skin and other filth from fingers. "Pure" is out the wndow.
        "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Once or twice a year I use a drop or two of lemon oil as a cleaning agent along with an old credit card to scrape any gunk off. Otherwise my fingers do the job of oiling just fine; and a good, hard wipe down of the strings and fingerboard with an old towelling cloth keeps things clean.
          Yamaha LL16 A.R.E.
          Yamaha LJ6 A.R.E.
          Yamaha FG750S

Comment

just one word for you:
            Bear Grease

(it's the "new" math)

why is it people insist on gumming up their gits.
            as Nancy Reagan told me when I attended her guitar care and feeding workshop years ago, "Just Say No!"

Comment

I rub down with a dry cloth between string changes (so that's every 4 weeks or so) and, a couple of times a year, I squirt a bit of ordinary (Pledge type) furniture polish onto a cloth to clean off any grime. (Some people say you are not supposed to do this but I've been doing it for many years and it doesn't seem to have harmed my fretboards in any way.)
              Howard

Comment

Good ol HD SAE 60 works well.

Comment

So sorry to disagree...

Any triglyceride can go rancid, and canola is quite prone to rancidity.
                  Google <<canola rancid>> and read up. oke:

Also, even if your statement were true, it would not be applicable. As soon as you apply the oil to a fingerboard, it would be the equivalent of stirring canola with a dirty piece of wood and mixing in dead skin and other filth from fingers. "Pure" is out the wndow.

well yes, the things that stick to it might go rancid

ever see the "fast food decay" experiment? theres a video on youtube where some people took various fast foods and left them out to decompose. everything eventually went nasty within a few weeks, but mcdonands french fries, suppusedly cooked in canola oil stayed "good as new" for nearly a year until an intern accidentally threw them away.

in any case i think we all agree its not a good idea for fretboards
                  ---
                  1959 is dead
                  http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...4#post46436574
                  ---

Comment

I had two of my electric guitars set up by a luthier who used canola oil. I haven't had any issues with smell or oil never drying. It's actually pretty solid. The canola oil is very good for absorbing dirt and grime and you can also wiped the entire guitar with it. Give it a few hours and it dries up well with a nice shine as well. I had my guitar setup over a year ago and there were never any problems with rancid smell. The guitars used were a Jackson Dinky DKMG and a Fender Heartfield Talon I.

Comment

• lz4005
                      lz4005 commented
                      Editing a comment

a

Attached Files
                  Working...
                  X