Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more person who believes in NO oil at all on their fretboards.

Comment

I know what turpentine is.
      It also happens to be the most flammable substance I know of.
      Hence Monterey pop festival reference.

Gasoline is flammable. Turpentine is flammable. Even canola oil is flammable. Oh, and canola oil will go rancid when exposed to air. Phewww! Get it off quick.

Comment

Gasoline is flammable. Turpentine is flammable. Even canola oil is flammable. Oh, and canola oil will go rancid when exposed to air. Phewww! Get it off quick.

Would alcohol get it off?

And yes, I know that, too, is flammable.

Comment

Alcohol (methanol or ethanol) dries stuff out pretty bad. Might work, but I'd be afraid of it.

Comment

Most vegetable oils will get rancid and gum up over a short time. I use a Walnut oil as a food-safe oil on my wood turnings and, since it does not go rancid and gum up, I also use a light coating of it on my rosewood fingerboards.

Comment

Over on the last HCEG "fretboard oil" mega thread someone said they used vegetable oil once and it went rancid - said his guitar smelled like pizza vomit or something.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31347691&postcount=13
              "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Most vegetable oils will get rancid and gum up over a short time. I use a Walnut oil as a food-safe oil on my wood turnings and, since it does not go rancid and gum up, I also use a light coating of it on my rosewood fingerboards.

Never heard of walnut oil but it sounds like a decent idea. I've used gun stock oil, which is essentially boiled linseed oil, with decent results but then again I rarely oil the fingerboards on my guitars anyway. I've used it on my 12-string once in 35 years, once on our daughter's probably-25-year-old Epi, and once on my 5-year-old Alvarez beater.
                Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                Member of the Schecter Society
                Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

+ 100%

just use mineral oil (sparingly)...available at any pharmacy.

Mineral oil is the what is in GHS Fast Fret , great stuff !

Comment

Never heard of walnut oil but it sounds like a decent idea. I've used gun stock oil, which is essentially boiled linseed oil, with decent results but then again I rarely oil the fingerboards on my guitars anyway. I've used it on my 12-string once in 35 years, once on our daughter's probably-25-year-old Epi, and once on my 5-year-old Alvarez beater.

Tung oil!

I didn't know that worked. I'll do that from henceforth.

Comment

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31347691&postcount=13

Thanks, i found that to be one of the more entertaining posts and nearly as informative your others on that thread.

Comment

Tung oil!

I didn't know that worked. I'll do that from henceforth.

Why do you feel that you must oil the fingerboard?

Comment

I've never oiled a fredboard. Ive never polished a guitar or a car. Hell my cars are lucky to get their oil changed. LOL

All kiddin aside, I hope you can get the spooge off there.
                          R.I.P. TAH & Dak

Comment

I use this maybe two or three times a year on all my guitars....

Comment

Crap. I just had some Lay's potato chips and now my ebony fretboard's got some shiny spots. It's all good, though.
                              Cornelius Clodhopper

Comment

I use this stuff.

"I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Working...
                                X