Tried the Dean Markley Helix HD strings

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Here's the link:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Markley-HELIX-HD-2082-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings-8020-CL?sku=712563

They make a lot of claims about the string, which I'll let you read. My opinion of them is they have a bit of a different tone than other 80/20 strings I've tried but not necessarily better. They do have more resonance, volume, and sustain. They didn't really feel any smoother. Too early to tell about string life. I won't be using them again because it seems like I just have to have phosphor bronze. If Dean Markley did come out with a phosphor bronze version of these string I would be interested in trying them.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Dean Markley does have a Phos Bronze in Helix. By far the best strings I've ever played. I used Clear Tone prior and Martin. No comparison. Helix blows then away and they last forever. I had a chance to visit their booth at NAMM and one of the guys have me a full demonstration. I understand what they really do now and I'm a believer. I don't think they've been hyped enough.

• Members

I am a big fan of Dean Markley's Gold/Bronze, but I think they have or are going to stop making them. By far my favorite string. I have been trying strings lately looking for something else and I've found Martin SP's are pretty close. I have my first set on now, I've had them on for about 2 weeks and so far so good. I tried the Helix and didn't really like them. Strings are so personal so ymmv.

Archived