Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried the Dean Markley Helix HD strings

Here's the link:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Markley-HELIX-HD-2082-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings-8020-CL?sku=712563

They make a lot of claims about the string, which I'll let you read. My opinion of them is they have a bit of a different tone than other 80/20 strings I've tried but not necessarily better. They do have more resonance, volume, and sustain. They didn't really feel any smoother. Too early to tell about string life. I won't be using them again because it seems like I just have to have phosphor bronze. If Dean Markley did come out with a phosphor bronze version of these string I would be interested in trying them.

So did you experience "stupendous results"........?

Comment

So did you experience "stupendous results"........?

I would say I experienced okay results. Even before I ordered them I felt Dean Markley was really over-hyping the strings.

Comment

I use 80/20's and I only paid a couple bucks less that for a set of Martin Marquis recently. Seems cheap enough (cheaper than d'Addario Flat Tops) and I'd like to hear "stupendous results" and "more projection and tone".
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Dean Markley does have a Phos Bronze in Helix. By far the best strings I've ever played. I used Clear Tone prior and Martin. No comparison. Helix blows then away and they last forever. I had a chance to visit their booth at NAMM and one of the guys have me a full demonstration. I understand what they really do now and I'm a believer. I don't think they've been hyped enough.

Comment

I am a big fan of Dean Markley's Gold/Bronze, but I think they have or are going to stop making them. By far my favorite string. I have been trying strings lately looking for something else and I've found Martin SP's are pretty close. I have my first set on now, I've had them on for about 2 weeks and so far so good. I tried the Helix and didn't really like them. Strings are so personal so ymmv.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><br />
            HCGB #271</div>

Comment

Working...
            X