Martin 000x1ae or Taylor 110

beter pan

• Members

I am planning to buy an acoustic guitar and I need advice. I got a $500-600 budget (but not more than that).

At the local stores, I liked two guitars. One electric-acoustic: Martin 000X1AE (and Martin DX1AE) and the other plain acoustic: Taylor 110. I tried them and to be honest, I liked the sound of all those. But Taylor seemed more "natural" than the Martins. But the Martins, especially the 000X1AE sounded good as well.

I have been an electric guitar guy and I am going to get this guitar for being my acoustic axe. I don't particularly need an "electric acoustic". I play blues, rock and some folk mostly.

Please help me...

• Members

Personally I'd pick the Taylor because it's made of actual wood and has binding. X series Martins are mostly made of HPL, which is another name for Forica, layers of paper in a resin binder. Bear in mind that you're also comparing apples and oranges since one guitar is a dreadnaught and the other is a smaller 000 size so they wouldn't sound the same even if everything else were equal. That said, I probably wouldn't buy either. The Yamaha LL6 should be in your price range, a few Blueridge models, a couple of Takamine G series, a few Alvarez, a Breedlove or two, etc. You might also check your local CraigsList or equivalent and save buying used.

• Members

In this case I'd say go for the Taylor based on:

1: you like the more natural sound

2: you don't want a pickup

3: you're an electric guitar player and Taylors have reputation of having necks that electric guitar players prefer the feel of

4: while having laminated sapele back and sides the Taylor is still made of wood, not an engineered countertop material.

Deepend has a point though. Shop around. Look at Yamaha, Eastman andy several other brands' lower-end offerings. They will likely eclipse the US made guitar models you've already tried.

• Members

You're not going to get a decent Martin guitar for under about $1500. OTOH, those Taylor 100 series guitars are a pretty good value.

Why are you comparing a 000 size guitar to a dreadnought? You need to decide which size and shape you like better. Depending on which one do you prefer, you could go with a 110 dreadnought or a 114 GA. With the Taylor guitars, electrics and cutaway are optional, although to get the combination you want you might have to order it.

• Members

Agree totally w/ DeepEnd. 50 yrs of playing has taught me that in the $999 and less sector, the "name" on a headstock is not necessarily an indicator of Quality. IN MOST CASES, building instruments - especially if made of organic material, (trees!?) - may be approached as a Science, but cannot be entirely divorced from Art! That means a low price guitar can turn out to be a gem, while a high priced ax can turn out to be less than promised (reference certain era Les Pauls.) Take the advice and play EVERYYTHING in your chosen guitar TYPE and price range. I've paid relatively little for guitars I will NOT part with and I've been unpleasantly surprised more than once by a big NAME! Lastly, I've NEVER been disappointed with any Yamaha I played relative to its price; e.g. FG series flat tops; SG & SBG electrics; SA series semi-hollow bodies. Enjoy.

• Members

DeepEnd wrote:

Personally I'd pick the Taylor because it's made of actual wood and has binding
. X series Martins are mostly made of HPL, which is another name for Forica, layers of paper in a resin binder. Bear in mind that you're also comparing apples and oranges since one guitar is a dreadnaught and the other is a smaller 000 size so they wouldn't sound the same even if everything else were equal. That said, I probably wouldn't buy either. The Yamaha LL6 should be in your price range, a few Blueridge models, a couple of Takamine G series, a few Alvarez, a Breedlove or two, etc.
You might also check your local CraigsList or equivalent and save buying used.

2nd this

• Members

That's what I exactly considered.

I know a dreadnought and a 000 are different guitars. But I need an all-rounder for playing blues and rock and folk. And yes: for slide playing...:)

I chose those, because in Ankara, Turkey (where I am now) those were the currently available decent acoustics. I asked for the LL6 of Yamaha as well. And the local Yamaha dealer tried to sell a FG750. Though its neck was awesome, I did not like the feel and the sound of FG 750. It was somehow weird. On the other hand the dealer said LL6 I was looking for was more a pop guitar than a guitar for blues, rock and folk. I gave up for Yamaha. And I started looking for other brands in other stores. Then I found the Martin and the Taylor I mentioned in two different stores.

After the comments here, and playing Taylor again, I chose Taylor. The reasons are as follows:

- Wood is much better than any other artficial material.

- Moreover, Taylor 110 has ebony fretboard, and one piece backplate.

- The sound of Taylor is loud and good.

- The sound of Taylor is quite balanced. It gives not only the lows, but the mids and trebles good very well.

- The feel of the guitar is much real. When you hold it, you feel it is a real, and full guitar that has a character.

Thank you for the comments and your help.

Archived