NGD....and a story worth reading.

C70man

• Members

I  really have to tell the story....

I have been shopping for a J45 for some time, preferably a Vintage instrument.

I like Sam Ash....they have always been nice to deal with and lots of good info, so I gave them a shot first. 

That being said, here's ...the short version.

I ordered a Vintage J45 from their site. When the guitar showed up it wasn't quite what was described.

I won't go into the details, but what was important is how Sam Ash dealt with the situation.

Not only did they offer to fix the problem, give me a full refund with no freight charge, but offered to replace the instrument.

Well being that you don't really just replace a vintage guitar I was leaning towards just the refund and chucking the whole situation up to just a bad experience.

But I received a phone call, yes a phone call from Mike Rock of Sam Ash...head buyer.

He asked what he could do to make me happy....No discussion of money, just what would make me happy.

I told him I really wanted a J45 and preferably a vintage....he suggested I visit my closest Sam Ash and try out a new one...just to see if I'd be interested....so I did.

I tried out more than one...but found one I was quite impressed with...a brand new Standard VintageSB.

Mike Rock called the manager of the store and told him the guitar was mine.

I won't go into the plus/minus $$$ part of the deal, but I will say I got the better end of the deal by a long shot.

Not only was Sam Ash willing to take care of my wants, but also by making me feel I was important to them as a customer...I was totally impressed.

No, I don't work for Sam Ash, nor do I know anyone there...but I will tell you that they earned all my future business.

I highly recommend their business ethic and their outstanding customer service...that being said here's what I got....did I mention is has the Baggs system...and the Gold Warranty.

new j45.jpg

• Members

Congrats! Gorgeous guitar. Hope it will make you happy for many years.

I also always like to hear stories about excellent customer service. Most businesses, I think, fail in this regard because they just don't recognize how vital it is - forgetting for a moment that it is also simply the right way to treat people in general. I personally tend to be brand/company loyal on the basis of great customer service, when I encounter it. Have also had many experiences where, similar to yours, a company makes an error but goes so far above and beyond to make things right that the initial mistake can seem like a blessing in the end. Glad it worked out for you.

• Members

Congratulations. Happy New Guitar Day. As others have said, gorgeous guitar and a great story. I work in a service-related occupation and it takes a lot for me to complain about poor service. That said, I haven't bought anything from a local (St. Louis) chain of car dealers since 1985 and I make a point of telling people why.

• Members

Nice guitar.  The upside of the standard J45 is that it comes with electronics.  I have the TV and it did not ... although I have since added a JJB Prestige 330.  I guess the biggest difference between the two, besides electronics, is the type of spruce used on the top.

Nice story about Sam Ash.  I will keep that in mind for future purchases.  I have done some big purchases with Sweetwater and have had great experiences with their customer service and price negotiations ... but have never had to send anything back ... so I can't compare to your experience at Sam Ash.

Enjoy the guitar and let me know what type of strings you settle on ... especially if you use coated strings.  I typically use elixir nanos ... but put EXP16s on my J45.

Archived