VOM (Virtual Open Mike) February MMXIII!!! Post your recordings all weekend!

Michael Martin

• Members

Ladies and gentleman, and all the rest of us--the time has come! Post your recordings. All genres, all levels of refinement or accomplishment are most welcome. Share the goodness. Audio or audio/video.

Thread open all weekend. Comments on each other's submissions welcome.

BTW parallel VOM going on over at MelodyVine. Please consider posting there as well. Spread the wealth.

http://village.melodyvine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=f3138a07ddd3d503fb818b4c934b9ad1

I'll add my own contribution later. Happy hour with colleagues beckons! ;)

• Members

Don't feel much like recording anything right now.  Here's a jambox tape recording of my band that was recorded some time around 1998 or so.  It is an old Lynyrd Skynyrd tune called Gimmee Three Steps.  I'm not singing the lead, only doing back up singing. My lead work sounds a bit far away, but that's one of the hazards of jambox recordings.  Anyway, here'tis:

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=recordingtrack1/Gimmee_Three_Steps.mp3

I hope ya'll like it. 

• Members

OK this is incredibly raw and crude as a recording but to my mind and heart incredibly sweet. Just recorded at about 5pm today. This is my band doing an impromptu run-through of our cover of The Beatles' "If I Fell", with our sax player playing along by ear--he had never heard the song before this afternoon (that's him laughing at the end because he fooked up the ending bit). We did this in an empty classroom this afternoon, just my Zoom H2 sitting on the floor. It's Mark on sax, Kyle on cajon, Molly and Mo (Morgan) on vocals, and me on guitar and vocals. 

The name of our band is The Lawn Chairs. We have a 20-minute gig tomorrow during an all-day band marathon, and this is one of the 4 songs we will be doing, along with two of my originals as well as Folsom Pinball Blues.

Normally we would have my long-time musical partner and bandmate-through-it-all Machine-gun Mike on mando, but he's vacationing in China at the moment.

Recording is straight off the H2. No processing.

https://www.box.com/s/bsgfu4alchhmheq26z6q

I don't have a pic of the whole band, but here's (L-R) Mo, Molly and Kyle:

mmk

• Members

I also don't have anything new to submit this month, so I pulled this out of the noisier side of my music file. I do a solo acoustic arrangement of this tune, but this is not it !

Done with a little help from my friends, Bob, Jim, and Chuck,"Pacific Standard Time", in rehearsal around 1981. I may have been playing a plugged-in acoustic, but I can't remember.

https://soundcloud.com/oldtwelver/trying-to-live-my-life-without

Paul

• Members

MM-world traveler-bandmate of lovely women-singer/songwriter/guitar player-I hate you. Great job.

Old Twelver-Played like you meant it-rock on!

hypnotist collector- dug it

TAH- WONDERFUL!

Frets99-Wll you please move to Ky. and be my neighbor? Well done.

benzem- felt you man

Hoddy-cool

• Members

Verne - nice rendition of a favorite Bach piece...put this on my Ipod!

Opa John - you do this song very well.

recordingtrack1 - walking on The Dark Side...nicely done!

neal - think is my favorite of yours yet.

freeman - two of my favorite Kottke songs...reminds me that I need to get another copy of the armodillo album.

MM - what a great version of a criminally under-appreciated Beatles tune...love the harmonies!

12er - cool!

hypnotistcollector - nice folky-rock tune.

Frets99 - great Lang tune!

benzem - kinda has a REM/Michael Stipes vibe to it.. excellent.

• Members

Verne Andru wrote:

Not sure how many peeps are still around, but here's a finger-style rendition of J.S. Bach's Prelude BMV 999:

Nothing fancy - playing a Silver Creek T-160 into a Zoom H4. Hope you like it.

Great job Verne.  I admire your style and abilities.  If I could play that piece of music, I would play it.  Can't seem to find where the "power chords" are supposed to go, so I'll have to leave it to the experts.  Yo!

• Members

Michael Martin wrote:

OK this is incredibly raw and crude as a recording but to my mind and heart incredibly sweet. Just recorded at about 5pm today. This is my band doing an impromptu run-through of our cover of The Beatles' "If I Fell", with our sax player playing along by ear--he had never heard the song before this afternoon (that's him laughing at the end because he fooked up the ending bit). We did this in an empty classroom this afternoon, just my Zoom H2 sitting on the floor. It's Mark on sax, Kyle on cajon, Molly and Mo (Morgan) on vocals, and me on guitar and vocals. 

The name of our band is The Lawn Chairs. We have a 20-minute gig tomorrow during an all-day band marathon, and this is one of the 4 songs we will be doing, along with two of my originals as well as Folsom Pinball Blues.

Normally we would have my long-time musical partner and bandmate-through-it-all Machine-gun Mike on mando, but he's vacationing in China at the moment.

Recording is straight off the H2. No processing.

https://www.box.com/s/bsgfu4alchhmheq26z6q

I don't have a pic of the whole band, but here's (L-R) Mo, Molly and Kyle:

mmk

This was very well done and I enjoyed it very much.  Where can I sign up for a group like this one?  Tell your bandmates how much the VOM'ers enjoyed it.  Post some more.

• Members

OldTwelver wrote:

I also don't have anything new to submit this month, so I pulled this out of the noisier side of my music file. I do a solo acoustic arrangement of this tune, but this is
not
it !

Done with a little help from my friends, Bob, Jim, and Chuck,"
Pacific Standard Time
", in rehearsal around 1981. I may have been playing a plugged-in acoustic, but I can't remember.

Paul

Now there's an old club tune.  Great fun and gets people up on the floor with their dancing shoes.  The bar owners love it.  It's a tried and true formula:  The more they dance, the thirstier they get and the more they drink.  Good song choice 12'er!  It was fun.

• Members

hypnotistcollector wrote:

...all our lives we should detach from nostalgia and suffocate regret...

....going still....

I've always enjoyed your stuff.  This is in my opinion the best one I've heard.  I reallly like it and see it as having huge potential.  Great vibe man!

Archived