Dakota Guitars

6fingeredman

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Dakota Guitars was founded by one of the Rumore brothers in Tampa FL. I can't remember the the guitar guy's name, but his brother Dick owned Paragon Music and also opened The Jazz Cellar club in Ybor City. As I recall (from the early 90's) they had 5-7 models, built in S. Korea. I went with my girlfriend at the time to check them out, and ended up buying a Buck model with a Fishman pickup. Dreadnought size, great action, great sound with absolutely beautiful MOP binding and inlays. Fret markers were mountaintops with 3 mountain peaks at the 12th fret. Sounded and played great! Unfortunately, it was stolen but my girlfriend (now wife) bought me a replacement for Valentine day in 2003 or so. I am not sure they are still in business. However, if you are interested in Tampa-based guitars, check out Luna Guitars.

• Members

tampanorm wrote:

Dakota Guitars was founded by one of the Rumore brothers in Tampa FL. I can't remember the the guitar guy's name, but his brother Dick owned Paragon Music and also opened The Jazz Cellar club in Ybor City. As I recall (from the early 90's) they had 5-7 models, built in S. Korea. I went with my girlfriend at the time to check them out, and ended up buying a Buck model with a Fishman pickup. Dreadnought size, great action, great sound with absolutely beautiful MOP binding and inlays. Fret markers were mountaintops with 3 mountain peaks at the 12th fret. Sounded and played great! Unfortunately, it was stolen but my girlfriend (now wife) bought me a replacement for Valentine day in 2003 or so. I am not sure they are still in business. However, if you are interested in Tampa-based guitars, check out Luna Guitars.

Lunas are pretty nice, judging from the dozen or so I've had a chance to check out. Nice mandolins, too!

Archived