Best guitar for an adult beginner singer/songwriter

guitarplayer888

• Members

I'm an instructor with an adult beginner guitar student who wants a new acoustic guitar primarily to strum chords as accompniment for group singing, typically current rock, pop, folk.  She wants a comfortable, easy-to-play guitar that stays in tune well and sounds really nice for strummed open position and barre chords.  Does this exist for under $400?

• Members

guitarplayer888 wrote:

... easy-to-play guitar that stays in tune well and sounds really nice for strummed open position and barre chords.

Hey Guitar Player 888,

I agree with everyone about Yamahas as well as having her try out some guitars.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but on the off chance you are not: the easy-to-play factor is for most folks pretty directly related to the guitar's action, which is usually adjusted easily by an experienced guitar tech. So don't necessarily let a guitar with high action scare you away - unless the high action is indicative of a structural issue, but I doubt that will be the case if you're buying a brand new guitar. 

Other, IMO smaller factors here include nut width (folks with big hands tend to prefer wider nuts than folks with small hands) and neck shape (most beginners, in my experience, prefer a slimmer profile). 

Just a couple things to consider when you head to the guitar store.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Guitar Center often runs sales on their Parkwood guitars. They are actually nicely made, solid wood guitars. Most people have never heard of them, but they are the "house brand" and can be had for under $400, but, a cut above the $300 and below Yamahas in that they are solid wood.

Archived