The Official Yamaha Players' Guild.

geek_usa

• Members

I searched high and low to find a Yamaha forum dedicated to their acoustic guitars. Not a one. But I suppose since I'm a member of HC I can at least start a thread, or a club, or what have you.

I'm a happy Yamaha owner and player. My story started when I got my first "decent" acoustic when I was 16. I was working around the school helping at football and basketball games getting paid a measely $5 a night. I also kept saving everything that I got from birthdays and stuff. I realized after awhile of playing a really bad acoustic that I wanted to get something a little nicer. I snagged a Yamaha FG412-S from eBay for around $128 shipped, which was perfect since I had like $140 to my name. I got it in the mail and instantly fell in love. I wrote several songs and kept it for about 3 years. I recorded a bunch of demos that inspired a lot of my writing today, and i don't think I wrote more songs than I ever have than on that guitar.

I decided I wanted to "up" it a little more. So I sold the Yammie and bought a Taylor Big Baby. What a nice guitar. Got bored though, so I sold it and traded off several guitars, including Gretsch's, Art and Lutherie's, Seagulls, etc. After a year or so of trading up guitars, I came right back to where I started. I was in the market for another guitar and played this FG345-II from like '84 a guy had in his shop. It blew me away. I walked out with it, $150. Once again I started writing like never before and all of my guitar player friends were jealous. "$150?!?" they'd say. "How'd you score that?!"

Well, I still have that guitar. Never did give it up, however I did add another Yamaha to my collection. Yamaha's new line doesn't falter one bit. It's perfect, not a finish flaw anywhere. I don't know how they do it.

My drum set is also a Yamaha. I freaking love these guys.

Come and join the YPG and share your love!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My first guitar (that I can remember) was a Yamaha FG-140. I have had 2 others over the years. I have had a few others including 2 FG-340s, an FG-365s, an FG-401 and another beater whose model # I cannot recall. The FG-140 produces astonishing tone and volume but the neck is so thick you practically need 2 hands to make a chord. The FG-365s is a very sweet sounding guitar with lots of sustain. My Luthier really loves my FG-365s. My FG-401 is a hardy little guy that takes all kinds of abuse, lies in the sun at the beach and stays in tune and sounds pretty good with its brass pins. My favorite is the FG-340 which has a deep resonant tone that is astounding for an all-laminate and which sounds better to me than many Martins, Taylors, etc that I have played (but not the Taylor GS8 or the Matin D-41, but that is another story.)

Yamahas get a lot of love here at HCAGF. Freeman, Terry, Trina, OldGuitarPlayer, Dave, Rickkk plus I forget who else have all written lovingly about their Yammies.

• Members

Now that you've broached the subject, it's kinda ironic there's no English websites dedicated to all things acoustic, Yamaha Guitars. It doesn't matter, there custom made shop to there "low" end stuff ....... they've consistently made quality guitars. I presently own two a Yamaha FG-150 and a Yamaha FG-75, with very high action. The FG-150 had a neck reset 3 1/2 years ago and my FG-75 has become my slide, recommendation made by Freeman. I once had a Yamaha CPX15CM briefly but I traded her in to get my Guild F47RCE.

Trina

• Members

Yep - lots of Yamaha love here. I have bought two. The first was a pawn shop classical guitar that I picked up in the 70s. I paid $40 for it and it has been a fantastic guitar. A full and rich as any Guitar I have owned. When my son moved out I gave him the Guitar (he still has it).

The second one is L5A is stumbled across on craigslist. The L series is all solid woods and hand made. AN incredible guitar and another permanent addition to the "stable". I have always liked Yamahas as they always have had good playability and tone. They are supreme instruments - in their price range.

The current motorcycle is a Yamaha also. I have to admit I like a company that churns out both good Motorcycles and good guitars. If they also made my favorite beer, I would just have to work for them. But I am safe from that (Unless MGD starts making guitars and Bikes).

They are serious competitors and tops in low end instruments. They have a lot of admirable competition in the mid range market, but are one of several that are shoulder to shoulder.

• Members

I played a Yamaha FG-350W for over 20 yrs and eventually sold it for twice what I paid for it. I really had no idea what I had until I checked what it was worth on the used market. Looking back it's really one guitar I actually regret selling as it was one of the best sounding and playing guitars I have ever owned.

I have since bought and sold other Yamahas like my recently departed FG-331 which was sold to help fund my Taylor purchase. I now own a severly abused early 70's "pawnshop special" G50A classical but I :love: it's tone.

She's pretty beat up but here she is:

• Members

That guitar is as cool looking as it sounds as I have listened to your recording with it. You also play it quite well.
:)

+1

I've heard you too. :cool::thu: Time to do some U-Tube stuff Stacke's, come on now don't be shy. :poke:

Trina

• Members

My main squeeze is my hand crafted CJX 32!

It's a flawless tone monster, although I have induced a fair bit of wear and tear gigging it relentlessley!

Don't have many good pics to hand but;

Copy1ofImage001.jpg

rjsplash.jpg
l_021fcb56885f4a3b11e7f0149835021f.jpg
l_6612b3003fbb5d411bcad6d3c0d05622.jpg

Wow. I had never encountered either of these before. Really nice looking Yammies. :thu:

• Members

The attached pic is not may actual guitar but I bought my FG300 new in 1976. I was a three chord strummer (haven't improved that much over the years) who had no idea what I was buying. I believe it was near top of the line at the time. The adjustable bridge and pick guard make it look unique. It is all solid wood (spruce top, rosewood b/s ) and the tone is beautiful. I paid $300 when new and depending on the condition, will sometimes go for twice that on e-bay. The reviews on this site will attest to what people think of this fine guitar.

It's been a great guitar and if I had to cut back to only one instrument, this would be the keeper.

• Members

Y'all know I'm a member.

The FG150 red label Nippon Gakki purchased new in '70 or '71.

Brass bridge pins installed sometime in the '80s and Gold tuners installed about 10 years ago. Dean Markley Sweet Spot installed as well.

fg150.jpg

The cat's still alive......

YamerDent2.jpg

The FG411S Purchased used. Ebony bridge pins.

fg411s.jpg

• Members

My main squeeze is my hand crafted CJX 32!

It's a flawless tone monster, although I have induced a fair bit of wear and tear gigging it relentlessley!

Don't have many good pics to hand but;

Copy1ofImage001.jpg

I`ve seen video of Lennon playing a black one to Sean when he was young...Yoko`s influence wasn`t all bad eh.

Those are very high end models, selling for 250,ooo yen, look great but the bodies are so big ya gotta be a big guy to play em.

• Members

The attached pic is not may actual guitar but I bought my FG300 new in 1976. I was a three chord strummer (haven't improved that much over the years) who had no idea what I was buying. I believe it was near top of the line at the time. The adjustable bridge and pick guard make it look unique. It is all solid wood (spruce top, rosewood b/s ) and the tone is beautiful. I paid $300 when new and depending on the condition, will sometimes go for twice that on e-bay. The reviews on this site will attest to what people think of this fine guitar.

It's been a great guitar and if I had to cut back to only one instrument, this would be the keeper.

You better sit down and prepare yourself for a shock. I'll wait..........

You ready? That incredible sounding FG300 of yours is all laminate.

Pretty amazing, huh?

• Members

If you really want a Yamaha Acoustic fourum you can always start one. The most used free open source software for it is
It has good documentation and support. The installation is pretty straight forward. You can host it for free at

There are other free hosts that don't require one to be an active participant of their forums. I have a couple of sites with FreeHostia. Pretty slick so far, particularly for a free host. NO ADS! Domain or subdomain, scripts, including phpBB2, 250mb space with 5000mb bandwidth per month. Very high ratings.

Oh, Another one here has huge capacity at 20,000mb space and 300,000mb bandwidth. It also has phpBB2 and other scripts with reasonable ratings.

• Members

this is a good site to save...

http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchives/guitarchive2.asp

Archived