Drilling a strap peg in

rainrainwash3

• Members

I've seen a lot of videos where they show you how to drill a hole in the heel of the neck to screw a strap peg in.

However, I've heard that this affects the way the guitar plays after it's done.  I've always tied the strap to the headstock using a shoelace, but are there any major advantages to putting in a peg on the heel?

• Members

the place that those in the know use is on the treble (1st string) side of the heel.  the strap will just wrap around the heel and not get in the way of your hand.  you just have to be careful and not get too close to the fretboard (otherwise you'll might run into the truss rod...).

here's more (see: strapbutton2 for what i'm saying): http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/StrapButton/strapbutton1.html

• Members

Putting a screw hole in the neck heel to mount a strap peg won't affect the sound. Strapping a guitar at the heel instead of at the headstock will affect where the guitar rests against you, therefore maybe inhibiting the movement of the back some. I don't think that makes much difference.

Some guitars have metal screws up into the heel. There is also the truss rod. You want to make sure you don't hit metal when you drill. You want to drill it into the right place, and at the correct angle. You also want to make sure to drill the right sized hole. Too big, and the screw won't hold. Too little, and you could split the heel putting the screw in. If you're unsure of your ability to do it right, better to pay a tech to do it. It won't cost that much.

• Members

I find the balance all out of whack when it's tied at the headstock. I always instal a neck button if there isn't one. Keys are to start with a small drill bit and work up, using some electrical tape around the bit to set the depth. Then put a bit of soap on the threads of the button screw. Make the effort and get a nice felt washer to make it look pro.

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

I find the balance all out of whack when it's tied at the headstock. I always instal a neck button if there isn't one. Keys are to start with a small drill bit and work up, using some electrical tape around the bit to set the depth. Then put a bit of soap on the threads of the button screw. Make the effort and get a nice felt washer to make it look pro.

This ^^ The only thing I'd add to koiwoi's reply is that I always mark the spot with the tip of an ice pick or scratch awl to make sure the drill bit doesn't slip when I begin drilling.

I remember the very first time I did it about 35 years ago. I had some serious reservations about drilling a hole in the neck of an almost new guitar. Since then, I've lost count as to how many I've done. All of my own guitars have strap buttons on the neck heel and I've done a few for friends of mine who are totally spastic when it comes to doing anything that involves working with tools. I've even put strap buttons on my baritone uke, a few "A" style mandolins and  even on my little Yamaha classical guitar.

Doesn't take much manual dexterity to do it......just have to be a little careful. Where I shop, the luthier that owns the place does 'em for $5 if you buy the strap button at his store. And, he only charges $2 for strap buttons. That's a good deal too for someone who doesn't know how to drill a hole.

• Members

rainrainwash3 wrote>>

For starters the balance is all wrong, and the string gets in the way of your thumb. Then you got this large expanse of wide strap flying off your shoulder. Also in my mind it congers up images of a kid in a over-sized straw cowboy hat with a Harmony guitar & dime store six shooters hanging off each hip.

• Members

Id also mark the spot in the heel of the guitar firstly then even with a bradle make a small hole

where you then shall begin drilling and a hand drill does the same really

also as sais also mark with a little tape on the screw the depth of the hole

and also lubricate the screw just before you begin drilling

as this helps aid the screw from splitting the wood

a little at a time and you shall get their easily , its no problem but just check you have marked

it in the right area of the heel to begin with and youll be fine , its so easy to do yourself  

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Members

I know I could do the handy work, but I was just curious because I've seen some pictures of Elvis Presley, John Lennon, and Bob Dylan it looks like they strapped it to the headstock (acoustic).  I'm not too keen on drilling into this guitar, it's the nicest I've ever owned.  I just wanted to get some opinions on what people prefer and why when it comes to that sort of thing.

And yeah, if my great grandson has to sell it for drugs in the future, I'll put in a note saying I did it for him.

• Members

I personally feel that I have better control with the strap hooked to the heel of an acoustic. You might really like it.

In addition to the ergonomics involved, there is also a "look" or maybe better stated - an "image" that relates to the strap peg vs. headstock strap connection.  All electric guitars I have owned always had (have) a strap peg. My oldest electric is a 1961, but I know they were putting strap pegs on them way before then. My guess (not knowledge) is that the heavier body of an electric guitar made the strap peg a better way to center the weight of the body. The strap peg on an acoustic made sense to me when I was switching between electric and acoustic and I wanted to use the same strap ( I was too cheap to buy another strap)  but it also presented a different image as well.

IMO, the image of the strap hooked to the headstock is a rockabilly or early rock and roll type image and the strap peg on the heel is more contemporary looking for an acoustic guitar. I also think the straps look better without that long stretch to the headstock, but these are obviously subjective opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived