What guitar should I buy?

Laxplayer.mc

• Members

I have been really thinking about upgrading from my crappy 100 dollar acoustic, to something much nicer. The two guitars I really like are: Breedlove C250CM, and Takamine G NEX EG440CS. Which one of these sounds better? I like going into drop D and drop C tunings. Are these going to be good for that kind of stuff or should I invest in something different? My price range is 400-600 dollars.... Opinions wanted

• Members

Not a friend of the Tak EG440. Had one and it was the least inspiring of my bunch. Sold it on, no tears shed.

Don't paint yourself in a corner. Play whatever you can lay your hands on. Try used, too... as used will give you the best bank for the buck.

• Members

Out of those two, I'd definitely choose the Breedlove C250CM...much better instrument.

But, I, also, suggest you look around and play everything that catches your eye, and don't be afraid of buying used...sometimes you can end up with an amazing instrument that way.

• Members

Laxplayer.mc wrote:

Thanks! There is actually a used guitar shop just down the street from me. I will definitely check it out!
:)

Learn what OJ means when he says "fine condition" - there are many reasons why people sell used guitars - often they have problems that make them difficult to play.   Here is a very good primer on evaluating older guitars - it is focused on Martins but applies to any thing.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/problems/index.htm

Just because a guitar has an issue doesn't necessarily mean that it is not a good buy - learn what it costs to have various things fixed.   For example my D18 cost me $600, but I put another $700 into reset, frets, some minor repairs, and a few other things - it is now a cannon that is worth more than the total.   

A good shop should help you understand this - but I've seen several guitars that needed work that were for sale on consignment - the shop knew of the problems but avoided talking about them.

• Members

Laxplayer.mc wrote:

I have been really thinking about upgrading from my crappy 100 dollar acoustic, to something much nicer. The two guitars I really like are: Breedlove C250CM, and Takamine G NEX EG440CS. Which one of these sounds better? I like going into drop D and drop C tunings. Are these going to be good for that kind of stuff or should I invest in something different? My price range is 400-600 dollars.... Opinions wanted

I'm going to go back to your original post and say that, first, I have no experience with either of those two guitars, but I do have a lot of experience with altered tunings.   "Dropped D" usually means just tuning the low E string to D (DADGBE) but among electric players it can mean tuning everything down two semi tones.   I've heard "dropped C" refer to tuning down four semi tones - which do you mean?

If you are only going to tune down the low E string almost any guitar works OK.   If you are going to tune the whole thing down then longer scale lengthsand larger string gauges come into play - particularly as low as C.   Clarify your terminology and maybe I can make some suggestions.

• Members

Laxplayer.mc wrote:

I am in a few hard rock & screamo bands, so we usually play in standard drop C (CGCFAD). When I am just practicing at my house I have my guitar in standard tuning with the 6th string tuned to D.. Did that answer your question?

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you.   OK, Dropped D is pretty normal and can be played on almost any guitar with whatever strings the manufacture recommends.  If you are going to stay in that tuning (never tune the 6th to E) I would consider going up one guage to maintain tension.

Your second tuning is dropped D but the whole thing lowered two semi tones.   Just tuning down two semi tones is sometimes called "D standard" so I suppose you could call it "dropped C, D standard".   Probably doesn't matter what its called, you are going to have to do some work with string guages to get it to work the best.   Depending on scale length and strings, a normal guitar at concert with lights has about 165 pounds of tension.   Tuning down two semi tones drops that to about 130.   Lowering the 6th string will further reduce the tenion in that string - its going to be pretty floppy.   Going up one standard string gauge (lights to mediums) will bring it up to about 150 pounds - that might be acceptable but I would recommend going even heavier (14 on top, maybe a 60 on the bottom).  

Now back to your original question - which guitar would work best for this.   My suggestion here is to go as long a scale as you can find (and I don't know those specs for the two you are considering).   I would also suggest simply trying it on guitars in your shop - explain what you are doing, buy a couple of sets of strings and restring their guitars (if they are serious about selling to you they should let you do this).

Last comments - I do a lot of down tuning and some guitars simply sound muddy.  My preference is long scale small body (to balance the extreme bass).   The Kottke sig Taylors are intended for tuning to C or C# and are very heavily scalloped.   The JDL in the Breedlove might let you loosen up the top a bit for better response to the lowered strings.

Just things to think of - best bet is to go try it out.   Please report back.

Archived