I've gone acoustic searching crazy.

Divider_of_zero

• Members

I literally have searched so many brands and models and yet cant find anythiung that suits me! If any of you have suggestions of a nice acoustic guitar tht wont break the bank that would be awesome!

Heres what I'm looking for: Cutaway, Solid top of either spruce of cedar, solid back of either rosewood or mahogany, sides I would like to be solid but from what i have heard they dont do too much to the sound so laminated sides are just fine (they also make it a hell of a lot cheaper!), a ebony fingerboard but rosewood can also work, some abalone, nice craftsmanship. Although thats what i'm looking for i am open to ANY good acoustic guitar.

Thanks for any input guys!

• Members

Divider_of_zero wrote:

I literally have searched so many brands and models and yet cant find anythiung that suits me! If any of you have suggestions of a nice acoustic guitar tht wont break the bank that would be awesome!

Heres what I'm looking for: Cutaway, Solid top of either spruce of cedar, solid back of either rosewood or mahogany, sides I would like to be solid but from what i have heard they dont do too much to the sound so
laminated sides are just fine
(they also make it a hell of a lot cheaper!), a ebony fingerboard but rosewood can also work, some abalone, nice craftsmanship. Although thats what i'm looking for i am open to ANY good acoustic guitar.

Thanks for any input guys!

First, lets be a little more specific - exactly what guitars have you tried and what was wrong with each of them. 

Second, your specs are very general - manyguitars today will fit them.   The cut limits your choices - that tells me you are an electric player that wants to play up the neck.   Most guitars that come with a cutaway also have built in electronics - how important is the plugged sound?   I'll add that in your price range most guitars will have solid top, not to many will have solid b/s.   Opinions vary, but back and sides are far less important to the overall sound, and if you will primarily be plugged in they matter even less.

I find it more helpful to find out what kind of music you play, what style (strum, fingers, flat pick), guitars that you own or have played and what you like/dislike about them.  

• Members

Plugged in doesnt matter at all, i could care ledd for it. Its the acoustic tone/sound i'm after. I've tryed many yamahas, ibanezes martins taylors etc... and none of them fit the bill. I just recently (last half hour) contacted my local guitarcenter and they have a used washburn from the 80's im gonna take a look at.

• Members

Have you tried any Seagull yet?

They have several models that fit your description:

http://seagullguitars.com/guitars.html

They are Canadian-made from top quality tone woods and a great value.

I own two: a top-of-the-line, custom order Mahagony Folk with L.R. Baggs Duet II (now 12 years old and going strong - solid cedar aged beautifully) and Coastline S12 Cedar - the loudest guitar I have ever played.

Highly recommended to anyone interested in a great sound and quality at reasonable price.

Good luck with your search!

• Members

OJ, the only problem with that Washburn is that it only meets a few of Divider's specifications - its got a solid top and rosewood fretboard, but otherwise its a lami with no cut....   Your Yamaha FGX730SC is a little closer, it has a cutaway but is still laminated (and has electronics which he apparently doesn't want)

And the more I think about his specifications, the more I can can't think of one guitar under 800 bucks that meets them.    It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

• Members

Thanks you guys for the input! Ill check for those problems on the washburn also! From what i see so far and have heard it doesnt have any problems with the bridge or neck angle, after hearing that would you reccomend it? (its not a cutaway but ill sacrafice that for tone any day, its an all solid guitar) heres some pics of it if you guys can spot anything on it (if anythings wrong ill go with that yamaha fg though, my friend has one and its great!)

http://imageshack.us/g/11/wd618.jpg/  

• Members

Divider_of_zero wrote:

Thanks you guys for the input! Ill check for those problems on the washburn also! From what i see so far and have heard it doesnt have any problems with the bridge or neck angle, after hearing that would you reccomend it? (its not a cutaway but ill sacrafice that for tone any day, its an all solid guitar) heres some pics of it if you guys can spot anything on it (if anythings wrong ill go with that yamaha fg though, my friend has one and its great!)

The first picture scares me.   There are two ways to measure the neck angle - the old yard stick on the fret board and looking at where it hits the bridge (should be just touching the top) OR I look at the saddle and action.   The angle is OK if you have acceptable action (your definition) AND you have at least 1/8 inch of saddle sticking out of the slot.    That first pic doesn't look like that much, but its pretty hard to tell.  

The reason for both conditions is that in the future when you need to lower the action there simply won't be enough saddle to do it - thats when you need the reset.    Btw - I'm not opposed to buying a guitar that needs a reset (five of mine have had them) - but you should factor that cost (about $300-350) into the deal.

Instead of worrying about solid back and sides, I would personally be more concerned about the guitar fitting your playing style.   I put a lot of attention in nut and saddle spacing, body size, scale length - plus dropping that criteria will open up a lot of great options.

Archived