intonation problems after putting capo on?

racoustic

• Members

So, lately I see that my acoustic guitar goes a bit off tune when I use capo. Here is what I mean - I tune by guitar (say standard tuning) and when i put a capo on 2, the open base string shows slightly sharp G note, instead of bein  exact G.

So, each time, I put the capo on a bar, i have to re-tune slghlty so it doesn't sound off.

I hadn't noticed the issue before and I have had the guitar for a while.

Does anyone know what the problem is? And the solution?

Thanks!

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

My preference is a Planet Waves NS or a Shubb.

Yeah, I liked those for a long time, then went with the Planet Waves NS Dual Action, which I liked better.

A while back, at the suggestion of TAH, I switched to a Paige Clik. I like it SO much better than the others. I actually don't even use the "clik" function, but it's truly superior to anything else I've tried.

• Members

Thanks! I didn't realize the brand of capo would cause this. Interestingly, I had been using a Shubb (love it!) until last week when my friend's dog ate the rubber on the capo (I know! lol!) so am using some cheap capo meanwhile. I guess that is causing the issue then.

Now, I ordered a Kyser just to check it out (I loved the Shubb but people also seemed to love the Kyser to wanted to try it once). I hope Kyser doesn't cause the same problem (I see some responses that it may) so keeping my fingers crossed. 

I really did love the Shubb and never had the tuning issue with it. Weird. Will update everyone if I continue to have the same issue after putting on the Kyser capo.

Thanks all. Good thing, there is (most likely) nothign wrong with the guitar itself ;)

• Members

acousticdepot wrote:

The only good thing I found with Kysers is convenience.  I use a shubb.

And that's good enough for me. I tweak the tuning after putting a capo on, anyway.....regardless of what kind of capo it is. I'm convinced they ALL change the tuning to some extent, so what's the difference between tweaking just a little bit or tweaking a little bit more. Not much in my book.

Archived