Seagull S6??

smokeynichol

• Members

Anyone familiar with the Seagull guitar lineup?? my son just purchased the S6 cw maple back and sides and i believe a spruce top. How does it measure up with the 'big guns' when it comes to strumming country/bluegrass tunes? i see there are upper models with solid rosewood back and sides-what's a good upper model for this type of music as well? thanks folks for any info. can't wait to strum my son's seagull.

• Members

I have an Entourage, which I guess is like a cheaper version of the S6. It's a pretty mellow sounding guitar, nice for strumming. It's my default home guitar for all needs. I think it compares well with my Taylor 316. I mean, the Taylor is obviously a better guitar and all but the Seagull has its uses.

• Members

There's the S6 Slim, though, which should pretty much feel the same. I chose the Entourage because I wanted electronics and a cutaway for under $500, and Entourage gave me that, and S6 didn't. The sound should be more or less the same, though. It's a good sound.

Notice I'm being totally Asian by being video game/anime music but it gets the point across.

• Members

I have used an S6 cutaway for 6 years now for home, around the house, fun, and gigging. I could afford a guitar that costs over twice as much, but honestly, they don't sound twice as good. In fact, most don't even sound even better.

I had a friend at church loan me his Breedlove because my battery went dead, and it sounded good, but not any better than my gul.

Also, I have short, stubby fingers, and the wide nut that guls have(save for the newer ent.) is comfortable for me, and gives me some room to get in and out for fingerpicking with my mitts.

All in all, I think Seagulls are the best deal for solid top guitars around.

And, they are made in Canada.

• Members

I have the 12 string but with a cherry top. It is now a 6 string because like Texas Twelve, I have fat fingers and like the wider neck.

I used to have the Cedar 6 and liked the mellow tones. The neck was just a bit narrow for me though and traded the cherry topped 12 for it. They are both excellent guitars.

• Members

I think the beauty of my Seagull Rustic is the ease of play. I think the scale is the main thing, really. There really aren't many people making Gibson scale guitars, and it's a shame, because I think it makes it easier to play. It's also a tremendous value in that I'm not sure you'll find a guitar that tops it in every single way at any reasonable price range. What I'm saying is that you'll find at least one thing the Seagull is great at.

My problem with the Seagull, mostly, is that it gets a little rough around the edges, like it "overdrives" a little easy. It's quite easy to overwhelm the body with the strings. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but my Taylor stays clean and clear in the same situation. It also records better. So while the Seagull might win at first listen because of its mellow, beautiful basic tone, when you listen critically to the parts that really challenge the guitar, the Taylor keeps its tone a lot tighter and more together than the Seagull does. I mean, it should. It's nearly five times the price.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Seagull make several higher end ranges, Performer, Maritime, Artist, . I have a Seagull Artist Studio CW. I have owned many, many acoustic guitars, and this guitar is as good as any I've ever played.The Canadian guitars make production USA guitars look like rubbish, at half the price. 

• Members

bigmarkus wrote:

Seagull make several higher end ranges, Performer, Maritime, Artist, . I have a Seagull Artist Studio CW. I have owned many, many acoustic guitars, and this guitar is as good as any I've ever played.The Canadian guitars make production USA guitars look like rubbish, at half the price. 

I can't argue with the "half the price" part of your statement, but of the "many, many acoustic guitars" you've owned, I'd sure like to know which ones were Made in the USA "rubbish" so I don't run out and make a big mistake by buying one of 'em.

• Members

I had an S6 for years. Rel stable, great sounding guitar. Real tight body feel and the neck is solid. I traded it to my son. He had m 1st steel tring axe and I wanted it. I just bought this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-coastline-series-s12-dreadnought-12-string-acoustic-guitar

It's my first non spruce top guitar in many years

• Members

A friend has an older S6, cedar top, cherry b&s, bought new circa 95 or so. No Martin, not nearly as loud or piano like, but a very nice guitar that has gotten a lot better with age and playing. I'd take over a run of the mill Taylor dred all day long. Kinda generic and trebly new, but has mellowed a lot with a tad more vol.

Archived