First banjo! Total noob needs advice...

thom

• Members

Howdi!

I'm not even sure how far I want to go with it, it'll totally depend on how good I'll get along with the banjo. I definatelly don't want to get the cheapest piece of crap though, I'd much rather get some extra motivation and inspirtation from a quailty instrument. If I buy used I could flip it with little or no loss, so I don't see a good reason to limit myself to a $200 instrument that's hardert to play and more likely to frustrate me because it sounds lame.

Anyway, I'm totally clueless, I have no idea what specs to look for. Which materials, scale lenght, brands to avoid, etc etc...

I'd mainly use it to mess with at home, to play folky indie melancholic crap (sparklehorse, sufjan stevens, etc). I doubt I'll have what it takes to play serious bluegrass or whatever, but at this point I'd like to keep my options open, for all I know I have a huge hidden banjo talent.

So any sort of advice as well as specific 5-string banjo suggestions would be very welcome.

What are my options (A kit vs made in China vs MIA etc etc )? Thanks a lot.

• Members

I would definitely recommend Deering's lowest priced Goodtime to a complete beginner. Simple open-back model but light, well-constructed (in the US), and easy to play. And, thanks to the Deering name, they hold their resale value pretty well, compared to the many cheap imports.

Here's what an entry-level Goodtime can do:

Archived