How's the Taylor Big Baby?

in_rainbows

• Members

I ended up not being able to get the Yamie Fg730s but I found who someone might be up for trading their Taylor Big Baby for one of my electrics of similar value. How is this guitar overall? How's the sound? Bright, balanced, boomy? Is it the size difference all that noticeable?

• Members

Hmm I've heard good things about it. It retails for about $400, right? Can't you try it out before you trade for it?

Yeah, I can, it's a craigslist deal so I'll definitely get a chance to try it out. I just wanted to get an idea of the general opinion of them on here.

• Members

Only tried a friend's one once (very recently).

Surprisingly good sound for the size. If you weren't looking, you MIGHT think it's normal sized. Well balanced sound too.

Really easy to play neck.

LOOKS a bit like a cheapo guitar due to it's size/shape. I've heard it's very sensitive to humidity changes/string tension changes, etc. too.

That's about all the info I can give you at this time.

• Members

I wasn't aware it was less than full size. I have played them, but never owned one. I thought they had an excellent sound and was very surprised. The tone, to my ears at least, sounded more like a Martin than a Taylor. A Martin sound with a Taylor neck was a very nice combination.

That being said, I have seen negative comments about them, although I don't recall the specifics. I remember the comments as I was surprised since it was contrary to my personal experience.

• Members

I had a 2002 model.

it's 15/16 size so it's a bit smaller but not much really. They sound amazing and look good.

I also found that the sound got better as the guitar aged.

There are 2 screws at the 12 fret, where you can remove the neck (not recommended) , but these don't hinder playability at all.

Wish I still had it really, it was an awesome guitar.

• Members

I almost bought one but went with the 110 instead. But I loved the Big Baby. The neck is awesome, very fast, feels great in your hands. Barely notice the smaller size, and the sound is bright as all Taylors are, and very crisp. Does lack some bass though. But I really really liked the guitar a lot, and if I had a $400 or lower budget, the Big Baby is absolutely the guitar I would buy.

• Members

I've had my big baby for about 7 or 8 years now. It's a wonderful guitar. I've read some of the replies about the "tinny" sound, but if you play the guitar enough - like any solid top, it opens up. I continually have guitar players be amazed at the sound I get from mine when I play whether I'm plugged in or not. And as for humidity issues, I've left it in a hot summer trunk (not intentionally) and in the winter when it a freezer and have had no issues. If you like the sound when you play it - it's only going to get better with time.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I have had my Big Baby for around 10 years, The sound isn't the best but I have yet to find a guitar that feels and plays as it does at its price point (400), even compared to the 100 or 200 series  I prefer the playability of the BB.

I would recomend for something that stays in the house, I feel they are a bit delicate to be a travelling guitar.

most full sized guitars in the same price range will be fuller and louder-however none will touch the BB in terms of playability.

Archived